flywheels! whats the deal?

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
what's the deal with duel mass flywheels?, I got one in a 97 F-350 turbo and I took it to a ford guru and he's says it's bad and that's making the motor shake, sometimes worst than other times, seems I give the throttle a stab and she clears up and runs better. he also suggests to replace the duel mass with a conventional set up, does anyone here know anything about these things and what the hell purpose do they serve? sure seems to me like a leaky injector or two!:confused:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well, first of all your are posting in the wrong forum but we will see if we can help. The dual mas is really not the best idea ford came up with. Most change to the Carolina Clutch system. Others will chime in with why they don't like the dual mass....

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
I'm no ford guru...thought I'd try here....now knowing it's not one of fords better ideas...what to do? carolina has so many to choose from, like most places, hell even auto zone has a handfull. this is only a work truck and I need it to have a good setup in it cause it works off road alot and pulls heavy loads.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I assume this is not the truck in Your sig You'r talking about, You can make a solid mass fw out of the old dmfw You have in the truck right now. Thats as long as the POWERSTROKE's have the same fw as the IDI, if not maybe the guys Upstairs can help You better.

IDI = Not a powerstroke

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you explain how you make a dual mass into a single mass????

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the powerstroke DMF is basically the same idea as the IDI DMF.whether the mod you guys use will work on a PSD or not,i dunno.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no PSD expert, but in my opinion, there is no way the DMF is going to be responsible for some kind of engine shake. First of all, when they go, they make one hell of a racket. When the one went on my 93, it sounded like I was dragging galvanized trash can lids down a flight of steps. You can also verify the excessive play through the inspection cover. Hang around. We have a few bi-se... hmm, I mean guys who swing both ways in here that know a thing or two about the PSD.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
We have a few bi-se... hmm, I mean guys who swing both ways in here that know a thing or two about the PSD.
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
New way of saying "HAPPY NEW YEAR???":rotflmao :rotflmao
Yup, no where else but OB.....:Thumbs Up
And when they start slipping over to the DarkSide....:rotflmao :rotflmao

(well I see it's a sure bet bunch of us OB'ers gonna make Santa's naughty list again this year....)

Encarta® Dictionary: naughty:being mischievous, wicked.....

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
A bad dual mass will shake the truck bad at idle, aand decell.
trust me I have fixed many.
replacing it is the best bet.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See. I knew somebody would know. LOL

So do the PSD DMF's fail in this manner without making the noise the IDI ones do?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnem
You must be registered for see images attach

We have a few bi-se... hmm, I mean guys who swing both ways in here that know a thing or two about the PSD.

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
New way of saying "HAPPY NEW YEAR???":rotflmao :rotflmao
Yup, no where else but OB.....
You must be registered for see images attach

And when they start slipping over to the DarkSide....:rotflmao :rotflmao

Does that make me Bi curious for thinking of the dark side?