flexplate differences between oem turbo motors and non-turbo motors.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Last year on fleabay I saw a set of rods for sale that had a considerably different, beefy, web design around the crank journal. Would those be the turbo rods (aside from the obvious larger boss for wrist pins)?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just ordered a SMF kit for my 93 factory turbo F250. I'm getting ready to put a 1991 non turbo motor in it. I'm wondering if I should have bought a SMF kit for a non-turbo truck. Hm. I never once gave thought to the factory turbo trucks having different balance. I'm wondering if I should just have the flywheel neutral balanced now?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a set of na, turbo and psd rods here. I will try to post up some pics of those side by side for comparision. BTW the psd rods are the same length and the bearings are the same diameters too. Even the wrist pins are the same as the idi turbo rods. The only reason we can't use the psd rods in our idi engines is the bottom crank bearing width is around 130 thousands wider. They can not be ground to fit either.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just ordered a SMF kit for my 93 factory turbo F250. I'm getting ready to put a 1991 non turbo motor in it. I'm wondering if I should have bought a SMF kit for a non-turbo truck. Hm. I never once gave thought to the factory turbo trucks having different balance. I'm wondering if I should just have the flywheel neutral balanced now?

Every SMF kit I've seen for these IDI's uses the same flywheel from '87-'94 on the ZF5. My SMF kit needed some balance work. It was done when the roatating assembly was balanced while the engine was all apart for a rebuild. No way to know until it's on the truck, but some have had vibration issues with these SMF kits (again, balance was off from where ever these things are cast). If so, call a local engine builder/balancer and see what they can do with it.

Heath

suv7734

Reaction score
Here are a few pages from the 1993-1994 Ford 7.3 IDI Turbocharged Diesel Engine Supplementary Manual.

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's all yours. both. i can use a ATS 093 aftermarket rebuild with a compressor side that comes on early tho :D
Is that going to be intercooled, if so I can use the hose outlet comp housing instead of the machined one, of which I have none, done deal, send the turbo up with punk.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that going to be intercooled, if so I can use the hose outlet comp housing instead of the machined one, of which I have none, done deal, send the turbo up with punk.

it's gonna be IC'd. :D
will send it north this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online