FLEX PLATE

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a supplier that has an original plate in the Ford box. It has 155 teeth. How many teeth would the starter have to have? I see starters listed for this engine with 10 to 13 teeth.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The reason you find starters with different tooth count is some are direct drive and some are gear reduction. The gear reduction starters can spin the gear faster so the tooth count can be lower. A direct drive has one speed and needs lost of torque to spin the gear. It has been proven many times over the faster we can spin our engines during a start the faster they will fire up. There is a reason fr this. Our engines are compression ignition start. That means we require high compression to start. Going a little deeper this high compression is a simple way to heat up the air in the cylinders. Diesel requires 942 degrees to ignite so we need that much heat made by quickly compressing the air in the cylinders. Its simple science. The faster you compress air the hotter it gets. Now understanding all this I feel anyone can see a slow cranking engine is not going to start. Take this a few limits farther and we can hand crank our engine very slowly and it wont start. But try a push start and I'm betting it fires right up. A direct drive starter has always been known as a slow cranking starter. They are very strong and last many years but slow to start our engines. Lots of starter grinding kills the batteries and the starters so a good tight fuel system will fire off every time you ask it to ...

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the fine info. I have replaced this starter twice with the Mitsubishi starter and it doesn't sound like it always wants to engage. This may be because of the worn ring gear. Sometimes engages, sometimes doesn't. I think I will replace the starter with a new one as long as I am replacing the flex plate. Thanks again.