Flex plate for IDI turbo vs. IDI NA...what to do?

FARMFUEL

VEGGIE BURNER
Reaction score
HI to all,

I have to say that I had a nightmare of a time, fully restoring my VIN K 1994 F350. Trying to find parts for this truck's motor was a beating. I bet It'd be easier to restore a motor in a Daihatsu than this thing!

Anyhow, I've got another F350 that I'm working on (1992 model), and this flex plate doesn't have the balance weight that the turbo flex plate has. The later NA stamped flex plate is still available in the aftermarket, but the IDI turbo flex plate is like everything other freakin part on this truck- its easier to find arrow heads in a plowed field than find parts for this VIN K motor...

Any and all help in much appreciated

Maybe change the balancer along with the flex plate, back to the NA design?

file:///C:/Users/Shop/Desktop/93-94-7.3-IDI-Turbocharged-Diesel-Engine.pdf (its page 28)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Contact Brians Truck Shop (BTS) in leadhill Arkansas. If anyone knows or can get you this part he can.
As for swapping the damper and flexplate for a non turbo idi engine.. NOPE. That will not work. EVERY part of the rotating parts are balanced. When a spinning piece of material is balanced many times the center weights are drilled out or heavy metal is added to whats called the mid plain of balance. Just continue to search.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Contact Brians Truck Shop (BTS) in leadhill Arkansas. If anyone knows or can get you this part he can.
As for swapping the damper and flexplate for a non turbo idi engine.. NOPE. That will not work. EVERY part of the rotating parts are balanced. When a spinning piece of material is balanced many times the center weights are drilled out or heavy metal is added to whats called the mid plain of balance. Just continue to search.

I have been thinking about this and I'm not convinced that you have to have a turbo flex plate or flywheel just a balanced one. When they balance an engine are they doing it with flex plate or flywheel on the motor? If this were the case then you could never get a new flywheel or plate without balancing the whole rotating mass. This may be done on high end motors but not on factory motors. Please explain further.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this and I'm not convinced that you have to have a turbo flex plate or flywheel just a balanced one. When they balance an engine are they doing it with flex plate or flywheel on the motor? If this were the case then you could never get a new flywheel or plate without balancing the whole rotating mass. This may be done on high end motors but not on factory motors. Please explain further.

What you have posted is correct BOTH WAYS. But to do it correctly you need to balance every piece of rotating metal. It makes a difference. Trying to install a non turbo balanced flywheel or flexplate is going to be an out of balance engine. It will shake. I believe we are all in agreement that any idi plate or flywheel will bolt to to any na or turbo crank. It will not be balanced if you do this. So what happens when you purchase a flywheel and pressure plate and install where a auto flexplate was.. Not a thing. they are balanced for that. But this is not the same when you install a turbo engine with a non turbo flexplate or flywheel.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hVe a turbo flexplate for an e4od.

Send me a message.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they only made them for 1.5 years.parts are worth their weight in gold lol.
lesson learned.stay away from the vin c and k idi trucks.stick to m codes.:D

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our engines are externally balanced so you have to have matching balancers/flywheel combos turbo with turbo or n/a with n/a. If not it could be catastrophic.