Fixing a 7.3 that wont crank

dt7.3

Reaction score
towcat & all, question about starters.

sounds like a bad starter. BUT.....just for ***** and giggles....bar over the motor to make sure it isn't seized up. 15/16"(iirc) socket on the front of the crank bolt is a good place to make sure it turns over. where is the truck at and how much is the asking price? they aren't worth much in some states due to the high registration costs and the out of the world ins prices.

I'm new here, so go easy on me if I'm not posing this question properly.

How or can one replace the brushes on a 1989 f250 starter? I have a mistubishi starter. I see the parts houses cary the brushes for 29.99, but don't see how you relace them. They seem wired right in to the windings.
Thanks in advance

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm new here, so go easy on me if I'm not posing this question properly.

How or can one replace the brushes on a 1989 f250 starter? I have a mistubishi starter. I see the parts houses cary the brushes for 29.99, but don't see how you relace them. They seem wired right in to the windings.
Thanks in advance

I have rebuilt tractor starters before when I couldn't get another starter quickly enough and it involved disassembling the starter, desoldering the old brushes and soldering new ones back in. Maybe the newer strarters have screw on terminals, but the brushes aren't the only things that wear inside, the housing wear, bearing and bushing wear that allow the starter to bind and lock. But it could be a really cheap fix if it just needs brushes, I have an old 7.3L mitsubishi starter out in the garage I might pull apart later if I get bored and I will let you know.

Oh and it would be easier for others to answer and find this if you just start a new thread with your topic of rebuilding a starter.

dt7.3

Reaction score
Appreciate it! I'm doing good just figuring out I got a response!
I could be bent over real easy here.
I've replaced the starter before, and wondered at that time if regular solder would hold if I had to do that particular procedure. Seems like the heat in these things would require silver solder.
Thanks for the come-back.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
dont worry we are a friendly bunch here, i have been thinking of going through my old failed starter as well. i was talking with my brother in law last night since he just had to replace his starter again. he was saying the shop he got it from does not rebuild them since they have trouble soldering/welding the brushes on and cant do it reliably.

guess you dont know until you are in there though.