Five Speed Swap Questions

randomq

Reaction score
I have a 2wd 89 F250, with a C6. Or, had. I've got a five speed in it now and a dana 60 front. I've noticed since the five speed went in, it sounds like the timing is advanced. Almost sounds like a Powerstroke. It might just be that I can hear the engine better now with two big holes in the floor but I figured I oughta ask yall if there's something I oughta do to it. Any ideas?

As an aside, the five speed is just as good as yall said it would be.

shafermartinez

Reaction score
i did a five speed swap in my 85 6.9 and i can hear the wine of the tranny a little so it made it a little more noisy but does not sound like a powerstroke

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I put a 5-speed in my old 86 and it sounded like a throwout bearing dying or something like that. Gear rollover noise...

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rollover noise in mine after the swap is LOUD; but only below about 650 rpm's. It does sound a little similar to the injectors cracking open. It's also obviously the clutch; as soon as you disengage the clutch, the noise is gone.

randomq

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that it's just that I can hear everything much better now. I was listening to it with the hood open and the motor itself sounds no different.

Truck runs significantly cooler, an un-thought of benefit.

My advice to anyone attempting to turn a 2wd C6 truck into a 4wd, dana 60, 5 speed truck: whatever you're thinking of budget-wise, double it. Also, replace every steering/brake/knuckle component in your axle before you start swapping.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
The rollover noise in mine after the swap is LOUD; but only below about 650 rpm's. It does sound a little similar to the injectors cracking open. It's also obviously the clutch; as soon as you disengage the clutch, the noise is gone.

dead on exactly what mine does.. single mass flywheel with zf5

randomq

Reaction score
Found the culprit. Muffler input broke, so getting a really strange exhaust tone that I can hear much better with two new holes in the floor.

randomq

Reaction score
Wanted to report in on the truck again, just some observations. Better mileage, I'm not sure quite how much better, my speedo cable broke. A tank of fuel is lasting me at least an extra day of commuting. It heats up quicker, but runs cooler. Truck starts quicker. Very easy to float gears with this transmission, I only use the clutch to start moving.

Four wheel drive is awesome. Didn't get stuck in the parking lot at work today. I got in, let out the clutch, truck didn't move. Looked in the mirror and saw the tires digging a big hole. Jumped out, locked the hubs, put it in four high and backed right out. Coworkers were jealous. I'll see what it does in real mud when I get some better tires.

I think the shifter boot design is dumb in these trucks, mine now has the trim plate screws running through it. In cab noise is cut by 90%.

Things I still have to do:
install f350 blocks
install new headlight housing (deathwobble cracked one of mine)
new speedometer cable
big ole mud tars (suggestions on size would be appreciated, I'd love to fit a 35)
fix A/C
new glow plugs
fix rust/dents then paint
2) ???
3) Profit.

randomq

Reaction score
I forgot one thing, I need a new muffler. Any suggestions on one that flows well, is quiet and is cheap?

I will probably end up with the cheap stock replacement from Napa. I don't like loud and I don't need to make more power, so I don't see much benefit from something fancy.

I had a 6.9 with straight dual 3" and a 7.3 with 5" stacks and I never want to hear that much racket again. I like my quiet, stock exhaust.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these trans shouldnt be floated it will mess up the sycros. try a summit racing brand turbo muffler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online