first start this year/ brake trouble

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
well i fired up the IDI for the first time since the week before Christmas, it fired right up like it had been run yesterday, i took a vid but for some reason cant upload it...cookoo

anyway. i found my brake fluid to be low..and pedal goes to the floor. so i filled it and pumped the brakes looking for a leak. the level does not go down, and i see no leaks, but i still have no brakes.

what do you think, master cylinder? why vwould i have lost all my brake fluid with no evidence of a leak?:dunno

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet to pull apart the MC/booster on an IDI, but I have on several occasions seen where the piston seal on the MC fails and dumps fluid into the booster....the result is as you describe (until you poor enough fluid in and get a big mess :) )

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
thanks...i am thinking you may be on to something.

first start after 3 1/2 months

You must be registered for see images attach

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Hey Rob...

I had this same problem with my 93 yesterday. It has sat in the same place for a few weeks. It was sitting on a hill, with the rear pointing downward. I'm figuring that the wheel cylinder(s) may have been leaking... The MC was completely empty, so I know I'll be in for a complete fill/bleed when I get the leak fixed.

Good luck with yours!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Un-used vehicles should have the brake-pedal fully applied a couple times, at least once a week, to keep the wheel-cylinder and master-cylinder seals alive and rust-free.

Also, the park-brake should be applied/released several times once a week.

Sitting un-used, belts take a "set" and will have hard-spots from their positions on the pulleys.

Hoses, seals, bearings, everything suffers more from dis-use than from hard use. ;Really

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
the truck i just brought back from the dead has been setting for almost 10 years, and the brakes is the only thing that doesnt hav any real problems LOL