First 5er tow with the dually

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
We just got home, from a great weekend of camping and I wanted to brag on my truck a little. I've put a lot of work and money in the dually, to get it ready for towing and it was well worth it! Towing our 5er was a breeze, compared to towing it with our OBS! Except for the hills, you could hardly tell the trailer was even back there.

I took I70/I68 west from Hagerstown, MD to Rocky Gap state park. In that 60 or so miles of interstate, there are several 6% grades. The dually got a workout, but did great. I kept an eye on the EGT and never let it get above 1,100* Our truck/trailer combo weighs in at 18,900lbs and that's 1,100lbs below the GCWR.

The fuel mileage kinda sucked, but that's to be expected with the amount of hill climbing we were doing. Luckily, where we live is about 1,100 feet lower than where we were camping. I burned 9 gallons of fuel, in 82 miles. I didn't check how much it took, to get up there.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with how the truck towed, handled and everything!

You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nine MPG ain't all that bad considering the grades you pulled. On flat ground you'll prolly get 11 MPG with that GVW. Happy camping.