Firewall Re-inforcement

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
So supposedly the early body styles have a problem with their weak firewalls and that is known... Ford has 2 kits, a big and a small to fix this. Does anybody have some good shots of how the damage occurs and the repair plates? I just want to get an idea...

On my truck, I noticed a small crack developing between the steering column and the fender (right side when looking in engine bay) but the master cylinder is on the left side a good distance away. After rigging up my Dodge master cylinder and having somebody cycle it, I do not see the firewall flexing at all and I cannot really see how it would cause that kinda stress where the crack is forming. The hydraulic system I have installed now is some big bore fancy thing that is supposed to be for high performance clutches (which I have) and the effort is pretty minimal. As the engine is not wired and radiator not mounted yet, I cannot run the engine to get an idea of where the slip area is but as far as I can tell right now, it seems like it might be in the range of 3/4-1/2 pedal depression which sounds pretty good to me and I can still adjust it. The point is... the pedal is easier to press than I remember the stock Ford unit so maybe it is just not pressing hard enough on the firewall now to flex it.

So I guess I am interested in seeing how other people's similar issues have manifested themselves and if anybody has shots of the Ford repair panels that would help too.

I will get pics of my setup and damaged area hopefully tonight to share as well.