FIPL help

motoneil

Reaction score
Last month I replace the IP and injectors. I have fought getting the FILP adjusted ever since. I bought a new sensor over the weekend and it did not make a difference. Still really slow shifts and no overdrive lock up. I tried the paper clip trip in the back of the FIPL plug and I get less than a volt. This issue just started when the pump was changed, so I do not think that is something other than the FIPL. Any suggestions where to look?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Knowing what your voltage would be nice but.... Just make sure you set the idle voltage between .96 and 1.2 volts on a warm engine.... The closer to 1.2 volts you get the firmer the shifts will be. I personally run my BTS trans at 1.2 volts and get an overdrive shift at 40 mph with firm shifts...

gandalf

Reaction score
Could you explain to us how you are testing the voltage?

When you changed the IP did you do anything to the FIPL? You must have at least moved it from the old IP to the new one. Did you install it correctly? Was there a problem with the FIPL before you installed the new IP?

motoneil

Reaction score
No problem before changing the IP. I installed a new sensor and the problem still persists. I am testing the voltage at the back of the plub.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. The center wire is the correct wire. The positive lead from the digital voltmeter is connected there and the negative is connected to the battery. Then the ignition key is turned on but the engine is not running. Now check the voltage. Record that voltage and now hold the throttle wide open. Record that voltage.... You will see something like this...1.2 volts at idle setting and 3.9 volts at wide open throttle setting. Mostly the lower voltage idle setting is what your looking for. If the voltage is not within specs loosen the two 7/16 hex bolts that hold the plate to the side of the pump and rotate the switch till you get the voltage you want.... When you installed the new switch did you "feel" it wind up on the pump shaft fitting... If not you may have installed it wrong.... Hopefully this gets you going in the right direction..:sly

motoneil

Reaction score
Was the FIPL adapter transferred to the new IP?

Yes, it was transfered but it was installed incorrectly. The adapter was not contacting the sensor. I repositioned the adapter and now I have voltage and correct shifting. Thanks for all the help. Now just to solve my perpetual fuel leak. I see the have a leak where the fuel bowl screws to the bottom of the fuel filter.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have mine set quite high. Closer to 1.3v at idle. this gives me later and firmer shifts, I just feel that it is easier on my trans than early shifts as I live in a very steep environment.
However I don't know for sure if it is indeed easier on the trans, that just my two cents.
I know of people who set it a 1.5!!! they do a lot of towing and such.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now just to solve my perpetual fuel leak. I see the have a leak where the fuel bowl screws to the bottom of the fuel filter.

go to napa a get a new filter with out the screw thing part number is FIL 3417 it cost 35.50;Sweet. i had the same issue today .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist