Finally Started Truck after IP/Injector Install

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
And it wasn't too good!! :puke: I have a bad fuel knock on cyl 7 and it appears low IP pressure on cyl 4. I bled the air off each injector a couple of times. The truck started within a minute on first attempt.

Here are the symptoms. Am I on the right track here? :confused: :confused:
1. Engine knocks and is shaking violently,

2. If I loosen fuel line on all injectors one at a time they all squirt (spray) fuel around line thru nut except #4, I have some fuel coming out but not a lot. Makes little difference in engine idle or sound when I loosen fuel line.

3. When I loosen fuel line on #7, fuel knock goes away and engine idle smooths out quite a lot. Almost normal. Leaking injector?

4. If I rev engine to 2000rpm it runs fairly smooth, but it ain't quite right.

What do yall think? Am I forgetting to do something here?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible to reverse two of the lines at the IP, which would screw up the firing order. I'm not sure which they are, I'm sure someone that knows will post.

However, that would not explain your lack of fuel at #4. I'd let it run for a couple minutes with the line cracked to insure all air is out, otherwise you have a bad IP. I can't see anything else that would cause lack of fuel to just one cylinder (besides a plugged injector line, but how does that happen?).

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I never took the clamps off the injector lines and it all went back together as it should. And #1 line is on #1 IP outlet. Double checked when I installed and when problems showed up.

I have bled #4 quite a bit, but I'll try some more.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I've run mine out of fuel and had to take 5 mins at highway speed to bleed that thing.

Or, take the #7 injector and put on #4??

I'm just kidding.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, very interesting. I wonder if #7 is bad out of the shop. Maybe have to wait till monday and have it tested, or else swap #7 for a known good injector? Otherwise, tighten everything down and go for a spin on the highway. These things can hide a lot of air, so it may be what 82 said. Otherwise, it would have to be either a misinstalled injection line or a defect within the pump.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
When PAfixit & I did my IP & injectors, I had to crank it over for a good couple minutes before it started. When it did, it ran a little rough for a minutes or so & then was smooth from there out.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Double check the copper seals. Spray some inflamable lubricating liquid on the inj threads while the engine is running. If you see bubbles, no seal.
If you run it with combustion leaking by the copper seals, you'll ruin the inj in short order.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Maybe I'm way off on this one, but did you remove the old copper washers and clean for the new ones? Also you removed the old IP and put another one, did you time it (dynamic or static?)

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Something to consider also along the line with injector changeover.
I had an experience with replacing the injectors on the Gold one last year, ordered 8 NEW ones, pop tested them and ended up with 2 bad ones straight from the box.
Called up MWFI up and they sent me 2 more new ones. Pop tested them also and ended up with another bad one. :mad:
So if'n ya haven't pop tested em, it sounds like there is a chance that one of em could be bad.

My $.02

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Mel pointed out to me in another thread a regular diesel shop most likely will say ken's injectors don't measure up in terms of pop off pressure. For these I would be looking for spray pattern, and I would get from Mel or another IDI guy who knows, the pop off pressure of a known good stage 1 and look for that.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
While waiting to get in touch with Ken, I started my Intercooler install. At least keep doing something even if it is wrong.

Ezekiel & f-two-fiddy, Made sure the old washers came out and I have not seen any air leakage around the inj. Plenty of diesel already present to check for leaks. Now I could do a soap bubble test to verify.

Thanks guys for the replys.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect a loose nut at the injection pump header.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Agnem said:
I suspect a loose nut at the injection pump header.

I think most of us have more than a few screws loose. I think it would be polite not to call attention to that Mel.

Wait - maybe I misunderstood.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
I think most of us have more than a few screws loose. I think it would be polite not to call attention to that Mel.

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I resemble that remark!

I'll recheck all the lines and check for a crack. I called my self torquing all lines. But, maybe I missed one.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Finally got #4 to spray by cracking open line and let it run. When I closed line and recracked it started to spray.

Swapped #7 inj for #2 and the knock is still on #7?? Goes away when I crack open fuel line.