Finally...I got one!!!

colton.shreve

Reaction score
I finally bought my first, 1st gen. I'm a college student and saved for quite a while working part time, and bought a 93 w250 4x4 5 speed for $4000. I have some money left:D and i'm wondering which performance mods will give me the most bang for my buck(or smoke and hp of my buck). The truck is bone stock with 175000 miles. I'm not really wanting to get to aggressive with it yet since money is limited. I have ordered a 2 gauge pillar pod with pyro and boost gauges already. Should I order the trans temp even though its a 5 speed? Now for performance what exhaust would best suite my budget? Also what are the free/cheap mods I can do to my engine to get some more hp and torque?
Thanks guys

also any other mods are welcomed to be told for the future.

Whit

Reaction score
No need for tranny temp gage on a manual

first the cheapest trick is to buy a NAPA 270 air filter, take yer OEM filter box out and throw it away and mount the 2790 in place, it has a 4" flange to mount right to yer hose to the charger

Shimming The Fuel Pressure Regulator fitting with a 3/16 spacer behind the spring in the fuel regulator. This is located on the right hand side of the fuel filter. You will see a 3/4 brass nut there. The spring is inside there. Shimming will raise the fuel pressure and often give you a worthwhile increase in power

here is some good things to do to yer pump

You must be registered for see images attach

IF YOU TURN THE PUMP UP TOO MUCH YOU MAY EXPERIENCE WHAT WE CALL RUN-AWAY, THAT IS WHEN YOU ADD SO MUCH FUEL THE MOTOR BEGINS TO CLIMB IN RPM'S SO FAST YOU CANT SHUT IT OFF EXCEPT TO KILL THE AIR TO THE ENGINE, SO HAVE A PIECE OF WOOD BIGGER THAN THE INDUCER (2X6 10 INCHES LONG) ON THE TURBO AND HAVE A FRIEND HOLD IT NEAR THE INDUCER IN CASE THE ENGINE RUNS AWAY, HE PLACES THE BOARD OVER THE INDUCER AND STOPS THE AIR FROM FLOWING AND KILLS THE ENGINE BEFORE IT CAN OVER REV AND BLOW UP..........NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY AND USE YOUR HAND........THE TURBO WILL REMOVE YOUR FINGERS.........

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
You a ship and a tweak of the smoke and fuel screw should give you a significant power boost. The gauges are a great idea. I cut my muffler off and I looooove the sound, however these trucks are notorious for the pipe being flattened out over the rear axle. If you're looking for a 4" exhaust then your options are limited. Stan's Headers makes a 4" kit of the 1st gen trucks. A low-budget mod would be to install a factory exhaust system out of a '03 and up Cummins truck (which is what I"m going to do to mine instead of the $400 4" kit from Stan's.) Another power mod is to loosen the bolts attaching the VE to the engine and rotating the pump towards the engine about 1/8" or so. This will advance your timing slightly and give you more power with a drop in EGTs.

One great benefit of these old trucks is that they are very easily modified with just hand tools.

FordCummins

Reaction score
Congrats on your Cummins purchase. I suggest you buy a pyrometer and tweak on the pump for free. I agrre with rebel_horseman that the pipe going over the rear axle is smashed pretty good and would be nice to replace with 4" but it really depends on how much HP you want to add.

jcmoyer2004

Reaction score
Another great mod that i haven't seen mentioned yet is the 366 spring. this allows the engine to have a greater RPM band and will really make the truck much more driveable. also check for a HX35 turbo or at least a 12 cm exhaust housing, again will make a huge difference with the getrags driveability.