FINALLY got the truck back!!!

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am with all you, you gotta understand me, we have an economical car, a VW Passat, really great little car, we bought to replace the Suburban, well, I have had the Suburban for sale, for three months, even priced very low. Low in all senses, just trying to sell it. We bought the car in hopes of selling the Suburban quickly, but right now, I cannot handle having three cars, hell, I live in base housing and actually have four vehicles if you count the Jeep. Everything would have gone very well, if the Suburban would have sold, but it isn't. Can't hardly give it away. I will not go without a truck and LOVE my truck. I really have not had problems with it, the headgaskets and really, that is about it. Pretty good track record. But the short side of this is the wife has put of with my spending on the truck to make it the perfect Jeep tow rig, and DD for three years. It has done well, up until this point, BUT, with three cars in the driveway, and one in the garage, I have to rotate them through spots so I don't get harrassed by the damn base housing types. PITA. Trust me guys, you don't have to convince and tell me the benefits of keeping the truck, I know them, and if you drove the truck, you would see why I like it so much. I don't need the beating, trust me, I just took enough of a beating with my truck, 2500, Mike as you know, that is about a months pay for me, even with haz duty, para pay and some others. I look at new ones and they are nice, but my truck really makes it happen, pulls like a train, gets decent mileage, BUT, say the tranny goes out next week, I am out of my truck for another, god knows how long until I can put enough away to fix it. Prolly would be awhile until I could. A new rig with a warranty, and the correct coverage will at least get me a rental while the truck is in the shop. So again, I know the deal, I have been making the truck work for enough time now, to know what I have. It hurt to have the truck out of commission for that long, other vehicle was basically parked, so me and the wife had to manage with one car for about two months, not the ideal situation, I don't have a 9-5 job, I leave early sometimes and come home later some nights, the wife goes to school at night. Getting a beater is not in the cards, might work for others, but I have had such bad luck with someones elses crap I could throw up. I drive too much to deal with fixing something I hate. Anyhow, I have explained enough, you guys know the deal, gotta be a happy medium. Man, being shot at in Iraq, was a whole heck of alot easier than dealing with this problem. Scotty

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what makes you happy. Hopefully some of that hazardous duty pay will help things along.

High gas prices undoubtedly are making the Suburban hard to sell.

Thank you for your service... stay safe if you head back to Iraq.

Mike

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Scotty,

I think all of us at one time or another has had to defend our trucks to our wives. We (the sexes) see things differently and sometimes a man has to go without the "*****" :Sly to stand up for his principles! :draw Selling the Suburban/ Soccer-Mom Assualt Vehicle is the right move. If she wants another crewcab truck then have two! Let her drive the newer one and you keep plugging away in yours. As a teacher I can relate to a low salary. Heck, I don't even get Haz-duty pay! :D Usually taking the wife to the dealership and showing her how much the "replacement" vehicle will cost, the old truck starts looking pretty good. I'm pretty lucky because my wife understands we couldn't afford a newer truck. My next or additional truck will be an F-350, crewcab, 4X4, longbox, manual in at least XLT trim. It will be a diesel and probably a PSD. I do have standards! Last I heard they weren't giving them away. For now I'm content to drive The Hulk and mod it when I can. ;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Scotty,

You have do, what you have to do. I understand where your at. I fought long and hard with The E and so I understand where your at.

I'm not fond of the bowties (looks dept) but with the employee discount thing going on you might look into them. The DMAX seems to be a pretty reliable engine from what I have read.

And don't forget Dodge is coming out with a BIG crew cab this fall couple that with the dependabilty of the little 6 banger ;Sweet

Ford - well I like their outside looks the best but..... Let's just say the track record of the 6.OH has not been stellar by any stretch of the means - lot's of growing pains. Looks like they got a lot of them cleaned up in this last round but there are still some.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scotty, Don't get rid of your truck for financial reasons. That's one that never really works out well. You need to decide if it is a hobby you really like, and if it is, then your wife needs to understand how important it is to her. Rather than sell the truck, consider downgrading it, or storing it. You can contact Midwest Classic Insurance, and pick up a real cheap insurance policy. The only requirements are that you garage it, and don't drive over 3K a year. You CAN take a lot of the cost of owning it out, without loosing what you've put into it.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's something for me to think about too. After everything Scotty and I have put into our trucks, it is hard to take the hit financially when keeping them another 5 or 6 years (while putting away for a new truck) may be the best bet.

Dealers never have your best interest in mind, and from what I've heard the Chevy deal isn't really much of a deal. $10,000 under sticker for a new truck? Any mfr should sell for that according to opinions I've read on TDS.com and Dieselram.com.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Dealers never have your best interest in mind, and from what I've heard the Chevy deal isn't really much of a deal. $10,000 under sticker for a new truck? Any mfr should sell for that according to opinions I've read on TDS.com and Dieselram.com.

$10,000 under sticker tells me that it was overpriced to begin with

Reaction score
Scotty,

You've got a great rig, man! Of all the rigs I've seen on the IDI pages yours is my favorite...no lie. Engine is virtually bullet proof right now. Sure you're going to get the occasional tinkering, but you know how to fix it. Get a new diesel and you're going to have to haul it in for most the repairs. Injectors are $2400 for the set. For that money you could rebuild your 6.9. Plus anyone can buy a chip to soup it up...not everyone can do what you've done. What makes your rig is what you've done to it.

You've basically got a truck right now. You get another one, and your back to a pickup.

Just my .02

DON'T SELL IT

Paul

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's my opinion of my truck too.

Nothing like it on the road. Getting more reliable every time I have a few minutes to tinker with it. It is indeed a hobby and not a truck payment.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I went in the opposite direction of what your'e facing. I had an '02 2500 HD & LOVED it. It cost me 500.00/month + insurance + gas + repairs (minimal but expensive) & then my wife wanted to moved closer to my "out-laws". So we found the house she had to have ( I'm learning to love it too) but my debt ratio was too high to get the mortgage, so something had to go. I spend a great deal of time away from home & refuse to have my wife drive something unreliable, especially with my kids in tow, so her new SUV wasn't leaving. That left my HD or the tractor trailer. Well, the big truck pays the bills, so HD it was. I literally had tears in my eyes when the LADY drove that truck away. Two days later I brought the IDI home from the Fire House. I've put a fair bit of work (& money) into & love it more than my HD now. No payment, 422.00 a year for insurance, cheaper to fix of mod than the HD, & it's the only hobby I have at the moment. I miss my power locks & power windows, but thats about it. But it takes less time to reach over & unlock the door or ROLL down a window then it did to write the 500.00 check for those ammenities. I know you gotta do what you gotta do, but I've been where you're looking at going, & I'm much happier here in the basement. Just 2 more cents for your pocket.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is going to stay for awhile, I have to deploy again in February, so hopefully I will be able to keep the truck awhile longer. I won't sell the truck to a schmoe, would rather give it away, but, I still have the dilemma of that friggin Suburban eating away at my monthly income. I need to drop the tanks tomorrow and see if I can fix the guages. Don't sweat it, I am here, you guys are like family. Hate to ever not be part of you fellers. Scotty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online