finally got my truck running

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After my truck sat at a local mechanic for almost a year i finally found a good diesel mechanic and is also reasonable on price, the other mechanic said it needed a new injector pump, but it was just air leeks pretty much every where. My trans is shifting a little rougher then it was before, but only at first and improves as I drive does that sound normal or do i need a rebuild? I am now getting ready to buy a banks system for the truck and it will be like a total different vehicle from the naturally aspirated that it is now. I have a small coolant leak coming from the radiator area at the driver side corner I have to look into but besides that and the trans everything is new and have a lot of money invested in this thing so it is time to enjoy. If i need a trans rebuild how much should i expect to pay?

93 f250 7.3 idi 230,000 miles auto 4x4

BlueCrew

Reaction score
I would change the trans filter an fluid an see if that helps You didn't say anything about it sliping so im going to assume its not

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Google "e40d upgrade" and find the company in Cali that specializes in them. There is a guy at my dealership that does the work, using there customer parts, and has bolted them behind WICKED strokes. Its no where near cheap but its as close to bullet proof as any automatic I have ever seen.

Or just do what I did and swap to a zf5 and forget the whole autocraptic all together.

punk

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no its not slipping but shifting hard, and sometimes it wasn't shifting when it should but then would shift very hard into gear.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
The shop is John Woods. Check this months Diesel Power for his contact info.

SWS

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
check the FIPL or TPS as it's called before you go too far - I may just need to be adjusted. I can't think of the specs are the moment but want to say set the middle wire to 1.2 volts when at idle with out the high idle solenoid activated. Key on but truck not running...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
X2 for the above posting... A tps breaks down at around 50,000 miles from the motor vibration. When that happens it sends too much voltage to the cpu and it goes into limp home mode... Shifts really neck breaking hard and usually only 2nd and reverse is all you have to get home... Driving it like that too long will kill the trans...

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Also if your tach pick up is bad, it will send your trans into limp mode and your OD OFF light on your shifter stalk will blink. I had a bad tach sensor and the OD OFF light was burnt out, a local shop picked it up with their scan tool. just a possibility.:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online