Finally Getting Around to Fixing the ****...

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Well, now that I have a few paychecks under my belt from the new job, I'm gonna start working on the old truck. I figure I'll get all I can through Rock Auto since my local parts place doesn't seem to carry anything associated with my truck. :backoff

Working in this order...

1. Glow Plugs (Motorcraft #ZD1A $9.74)

2. Water Pump (Cardone Select #5521318 $56.79)

3. Thermostat (Moorcraft #RT1049 $16.21)

4. Coolant Flush (Coolant LOL )

My question is, are these all the best choices?

I'm not gonna do the fan clutch because I think it's a racket to charge $200. If I have a cooling issue after all the changes I'll do an electric fan mod. It'd be cheaper than just the clutch anyway! :rotflmao

Something else I have been worried about is WHY both my alternator and water pump went out about the same time. I think I have it figured out I just need someone to tell me what it could be caused by. My crank pulley is shaking the belts coming off of it. I think the crank pulley is bent. Haven't been able to check for looseness due to my work schedule but I didn't notice any missing bolts.

Thanks guys, can't wait to get the old girl back up to par.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Oh, BTW my theory on the order is if I break off a GP tip then I have to pull the head which means I'd have to drain the coolant anyway. Hence perfect time to do a flush, water pump and T-stat.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the thermostat you have listed but... Install only the motorcraft or international thermostat. They work far better than any aftermarket stats do. What are you doing to the fan clutch.. Are you modifying the thermostatic spring.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
To my knowledge there is nothing wrong with the fan clutch but it is a "RECOMMENDED" part to replace when you do your water pump. Which turns that from a $50 fix to a $250 fix. The thermostat I looked at was a Motorcraft part number RT1049.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online