Filters

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found mobil one M1-402 oil filters on Amazon for $9.98 for a pack of two. Has Anyone run these?

yes.i use the one made for the 94-97 psd though.she's larger.it's m1-601.larger and cheaper on amazon.edit;oh you found a 2 pack for 10 bucks,probably just as good,but 2 larger ones would be a few more bucks.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also use the larger PSD filter on mine, Been using the AMSOIL EAO99 filter since 2004 and they last about 20,000 miles before I change them, @ $25 a filter it is cheaper than the $12 FRAM from NAPA all year long.
The AMSOIL filter is actually a DONALDSON ELF series filter that cost $50 my cost! So I am happy to use the AMSOIL product.

Nano Fibre last around 8 times longer than Cellulose and you cant eat NANO FIBRE like you do CELLULOSE in your shredded Cheese!

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Donaldson filters on everything currently.

Ran wix filters before. There are so many good filters on the market though Id say run what ever you can get. Donaldson, fleetguard, Baldwin and Wix all make great filters.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
yes.i use the one made for the 94-97 psd though.she's larger.it's m1-601.larger and cheaper on amazon.edit;oh you found a 2 pack for 10 bucks,probably just as good,but 2 larger ones would be a few more bucks.

Yup I see them for $7.95.thats a good deal also. I will try them next but it will be a while . I got 10 of the idi filters for $50 bucks and free shipping. Should last me a couple of years.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I run the larger motorcraft for the oil, Wix for the fuel and air, and will most likely be using Fleetguard or Penray for the coolant.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres nothing wrong with frams non metal end caps.they work well. The problem i had was the antidrain back valve never work.so when you start the engine it will rattle until the filter fills up. But since our filters sit threads up thats a non issue on our trucks.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like fleet guards and bladwins for fuel filters. My fuel filter is the equivalent of a 1r-762 CAT filter. The cat ones are awesome filters.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Frams are a good filter if you want to harm your engine. If that's your goal then you have the right filter! ;Sweet

Eh, I apologize for being facetious, again. I was in a mood I guess. I'll give real world examples, that's how I learn and make decisions. Most choose to ignore it, but that's okay. LOL

I used to have a Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 I6 (great engine BTW). I did an oil change at 220K. The jeep ran great, but at cold start up it'd give the low end rod clatter that you get from high mileage engines until the oil circulates and pressure builds up in a couple of seconds. Didn't think much of it other than "that sucks" because it was a high mileage engine.

I was still using Fram filters in those days, but by the time I was due for the next oil change (okay, overdue), I had been hearing bad things about Fram. So I figured I try something else, grabbed the cheap-o filter at Autozone, STP, changed the oil, and damned if that cold start rattle didn't go away 100% AND I gained 15psi on the oil pressure gauge! I never used a Fram oil filter since. I sold that rig @ 260K+ miles still running like new.

Now, that didn't stop me from using Fram air filters, I figured hell, it was a paper element, gets dirty, throw it away, how could they screw that up and it couldn't be as bad as a K&N Rock and Bolder filter.....

One trip we took from California to Eastern Kansas in early '08 we took the '07 F150. I calculated the mileage at each fill up. Along the way I decided to change the air filter as it still had the original in it. Put a Fram air filter in it and immediately lost 1.2 mpg. After a few fill ups like this I put the dirty OEM filter back in and regained that 1.2 mpg for the rest of the trip.

Fram focused on filtration without regard to flow! Never again will I use any of their filters.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've switched over to fleetguard filters (cummins) because I get them cheap from work and don't have to drive into the city at all plus there are numerous filter

Why use anything different if you can get them like that, there darn good filters. Fleetguard filters are sold by IH I think exclusively.

Those video's don't tell a damn thing, unless your a filtration engineer and can decipher what all the metal parts can do, it's the media that really counts.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Why use anything different if you can get them like that, there darn good filters. Fleetguard filters are sold by IH I think exclusively.

Those video's don't tell a damn thing, unless your a filtration engineer and can decipher what all the metal parts can do, it's the media that really counts.

Too true, I've said that about that website that makes the rounds with the guy that cut open all the various brands of filters. It is interesting information, but the internal workings tell you nothing about the micron rating, flow rating, etc.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to work at a kragen auto parts store and they really pushed frams.the manager drove a ford with the 300 cuin six in it. Everytime he started it up the bottom end would rattle until it got pressure. One day we were talking about it and he tried the store brand filter. It was made by champ. The rattle went away with the other brand.

But since ours are threads up a bad antidrain valve wont matter. Infact i dont even think we have one. I run fram air filters in my stuff to keep the dirt out and they work well. Ive never seen a new one cause a restriction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online