Favorite Pop pressure?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Well I'm popping my injectors.
They are Delphi's. I think they are about 12 years old and all popped between 1600 and 1750 which I'm pretty impressed with.
I had a 93 factory turbo truck that I popped at 2100 and it sure ran nice so I've thought about doing the same with big red although these will be BB injectors instead of G.
Thought I'd check the polls to see if 1900 is still the number of choice. Been out of loop for the most part the last four or five years.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Well I sort of let them speak for themselves to some degree. As I worked thru them I ended up with a range of 2100-2150. Lucked out for the most part but the last one took forever to get from 2175 to 2150 with the shims I had.

Turned up the pump exactly one flat.

Brand new turbo cartridge.

Mmm hmm I'm stoked.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
What's the risk? Burning a whole in a piston? Limiting total fuel? I hate to mess with them now that they're all so close.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When pop pressure is increased it can be harder on the pump, but I've read somewhere that there is power potential with higher pop pressures if the pump can handle it/supply the fuel but I maybe wrong. It also may be the other way with Lower pop pressure the duration of the fuel spray would be lengthened but the atomization would be poor and a more stock pump can deal with it since it takes less work. As with higher pressure the pulse would would be shorter but with much better atomization. If the total pressure output of the pump could be increased a higher pop pressure would be ideal.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher pop pressure makes it harder on the pump - hot starting issues would be what I'd expect you to find if you go too far.
Also, it makes it harder to push as much fuel, so you'll have to compensate by cranking the fuel screw up more.

(of course, it would probably be just fine N/A because you are very limited in how much fuel you can use. With a turbo, well, you should be able to burn every bit of fuel your IP can possibly put out(at 2500RPM+), so getting the most fuel you can gives you more power).

If you are limiting yourself to a single flat, well, it might not be noticeable either way. I still say put an EGT gauge on it and crank the pump /all the way/ up. As long as you don't have a drive/exhaust leak, you'll get a bunch more power out, relatively cleanly(with higher power levels, you have to 'ease into' the throttle from idle, until you have boost and can burn the extra fuel).

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You will have to play with the timing.
Imo, that's why no one setting works for everyone. Yeah, it'll be close.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I've got an extra IP hiding so I decided to rule that out of the equation. Lots of injectors too but turns out the damp shed froze the pintles so at least I have shims for the ones in the truck that are good. I remember a good idle and torque with the 2100 G codes so as an experimenter I think I'm going with it. Hate to mess with them now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall something about increasing pop pressure to 2500 lbs. Increase in both power and torque are very nice too but... This higher pressure ruins both the injection pump and injectors quicker than the usual time frame. I'm not suggesting trying this because I personally have not tried and tested it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just reset the timing, other than that no damage will occur to the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online