Far fetched future project

plowboy444

Reaction score
So I just picked up this 2001 24 valve long block the other day. I don't have a truck I want to put it in yet, but I figured $500 was too good of a deal to pass up. :sly It doesn't have an injection pump, front cover, turbo or manifold, but every thing else seems to be in good shape, and I can't find a "53" stamped anywhere. ;Sweet

So heres the question, since it doesn't have a pump or cover, do you think I should try and find another VP44 to go on, or should I try the P-pump rout? Fuel economy is more important to me than crazy power, as I do alot or running around between jobs.
Like I said, it will probably be while before I need this engine, but I'd like to keep my eye open for parts for it.

You must be registered for see images

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Me I'm a mechanical injection kinda guy and would go that route. But typically the p-pumped trucks get better fuel mileage it seems but not by that much - maybe a couple of miles per gallon at best. Another reason I like p-pumps is they are just flat almost bullet proof - you don't hear of guys replacing them much at all if even. Now the vp44 guys you hear about it all the time and pumps aint cheap no matter which one you have.

plowboy444

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, so I would need custom injectors and lines?
Also, is the HX35 what you would recommend as far as turbos go?

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a p-pump no question
also a p-pump is better able to handle alternative fuels than the vp-44 pump, something to think about now that fuel prices are going up again.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Hx35 will work just fine. I would couple it to a 3 piece high flow exhaust manifold then down to 4 inch unless you want to get freaky with the amount of air you stuff in the engine - because there is a thing as too much exhaust size because you lose the velocity of the exhaust gasses and actually create back pressure. I know that when I went to the 5inch stack my velocity was out the window and my perfomance dropped enough that I could feel it in the seat - Yes it looked cooler but that was about the end of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online