Fan runs all the time.......

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner, but my fan runs all the time

It is the '94 in my signature

Stock fan setup of course.

Is is too risky to run it all summer like this? Pulling "heavy"? Like will the seized clutch or whatever the problem is get really hot and burn up?

I will probably just get electric fans and sensor before winter but am I stupid to run it like this for now? I put a lot of miles on the truck towing and its often my daily driver.

Thanks

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its ok to run but if you notice its not stuck anymore it likely won't engage again.
All it will do is run cooler and hurt the fuel milage but it can ruin the water pump. if your towing all the time I would get it fixed.
Mine is seized and I have a new one but I am to lazy to take 5 minutes and change it.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being the clutch on the fan is locked up, iv seen them twist the water pump shaft off.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it running _full speed_ all the time? I don't think I've ever seen a viscous clutch fan completely stopped when the engine is running.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
mine has resistance when it's off, it "always" turns when running..? :dunno when towing up hill it gets up to the "L" on normal flat land it's more around the "R". should it get that warm?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my fan clutch about a month ago and for the lousy $130 I wish I had changed it a long time ago. Huge difference in how it cools.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. How hard is it to just replace the fan clutch? I do have the special fan clutch wrench and pulley wrench but have not used them yet.

Is it running _full speed_ all the time? I don't think I've ever seen a viscous clutch fan completely stopped when the engine is running.

Truth is, I don't know. All I noticed was it never stops, but from what you say, it could be fine. I just noticed the truck runs on the cool side empty but loaded it runs kind of hot. Probably I should get an IR thermometer on there and get some real temps to go by?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
start to finish it took me less than an hour.

remove shroud bolts (4, 10mm iirc)

use a wrench large enough for the clutch hex (reverse thread) and use a chunk of wood to 'impact' the clutch and fan off. Band-aids for knuckles or the back of your hand :rolleyes:.

Trickiest part is to not drop the fan into the rad (i put a piece of heavy cardboard in front of mine just in case).

Move loose shroud towards engine allowing space for the fan and clutch to lift out. Bungy the shroud to make it easier if you work alone.

Remove small bolts holding fan to clutch (six i think?)

Reverse process to put it on. I used blue loctite on the clutch to water pump thread (reverse thread). Put it on tight!

While you have the fan off it's a good time to change the serpentine if yours is due. ;Sweet