Fan Clutch

BlueCrew

Reaction score
How does one determine if a fan clutch is bad?

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think mine i going too because I can hear the fan actually slow down and then speed back up going down the road. When the fan is turning all the time the fuel mileage really goes to hell too.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case, it was Chicagoland morning commute traffic that made it painfully clear that my fan clutch was shot - luckily I was able to find a parking garage and pull in and shut the engine off just as the check engine light came on, so no damage was done to the engine. On the way out that hell hole of a mega-city I got stuck in creeping traffic again, and it wasn't anywhere near close to the evening commute either, so when the temp gauge started to climb while I was slowly crawling forward I'd hope on the shoulder and drive a bit to cool her down, then truckers would let me back in traffic after a quick CB coordination of intentions... So yah, if your engine temps tend to climb up the longer you stay stationary, but drop back down when you're moving, chances are ya need a new fan clutch.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
If your having over heating issues, dont over look the radiator. I did that and i am luck to still have no ill effects. I replaced the fan clutch about two years ago with icanfixalls help. That fixed the problem unitl about a year ago i was climbing the rockies with a camper and started to over heat again. It turned out to be a clogged up radiator in the end after suspecting another fan clutch failure and also replacing the thermostat.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at the front of the clutch with a mirror. If any dirt has collected around the flat spring that tells you the shaft seal is leaking. When that happens the viscous fluid in the clutch leaks out and coats the actuating spring. Both happening at the same time will render the clutch useless. You can remove the spring and turn the tiny shaft with the slot in it to lock up the clutch completely. That will get you by till you can get another clutch...BTW the MS Tech fan clutches are a new Ford clutch but they remove the spring and shorten it to the clutch comes on sooner than a stock one does. We can do this modification too....:sly

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
MS Tech fan clutches are a new Ford clutch but they remove the spring and shorten it to the clutch comes on sooner than a stock one does. We can do this modification too....:sly

Do you know how to do this gary? That would be an awesome and useful thing to know. ;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online