Fan CLutch Removal

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am attempting to remove my fan clutch and cant seem to get the nut loose that holds the clutch to the water pump.

It cant be this hard.

What size is the nut? I am currently trying to use channel locks to no avail.

Any Suggestions?
I am attempting to turn it clockwise as you look at the truck from the front.

Thad

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got the direction right. I rented the fan clutch tool from autozone. Mine didn't come off easy either, just keep beating on it. Maybe try some PB Blaster.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Snap on makes a real wrench to fit that thing that is about twice as thick as those elcheapo rental sets and will not round off your fan clutch nut.
You can make a nice holder out of about 2" wide flat stock . drill a couple of holse to bolt it to the pulley and make it long enough to reach the frame rail so it will hold itself.

If you could get that thing off with channel locks, it would have gone spinning through your radiator a LONG time ago :eek:

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Don't they spin opposite of the threads though, meaning as the motor runs it actually tries to tighten itself? I've never paid any attention to be honest, just always assumed that's how it was.:dunno

I have one made out of flat steel, cut to the size of the hex, then something welded to it for a handle. Works great every time. I typically back out one of the water pump pulley bolts, and use it for a place to set the pry bar for leverage, to hole it all from spinning (between the bolt and the water pump hub.)

Like said, some PB and letting it soak will help a lot.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Don't they spin opposite of the threads though, meaning as the motor runs it actually tries to tighten itself? I've never paid any attention to be honest, just always assumed that's how it was.:dunno

QUOTE]

Yes, but the engine shuts off rather abruptly and that is when the things will come flying loose if they aren't tightened down enough

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
QUOTE]

Yes, but the engine shuts off rather abruptly and that is when the things will come flying loose if they aren't tightened down enough[/QUOTE]

Oh...now it makes sense ;Really

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
checker,shucks,kragen has a tool rental program with a real nice clutch fan tool set. Bad thing is you gotta pay about $100 to use it. Good thing is you get the money back when you return the set.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
checker,shucks,kragen has a tool rental program with a real nice clutch fan tool set. Bad thing is you gotta pay about $100 to use it. Good thing is you get the money back when you return the set.
Only problem with those sets is if the clutch has been tightened to spec, all those cleap stamped steel rental wrenches will do is splay out and round off the corners of your fan clutch nut to where you'll be lucky to get the thing off at all. GThe good high dollar wrench from snap on is the only way to go. It's about $90 but worth every penny.
Trying to use a punch or air chisel to get the thing off is likely to result in water pump damage

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*cringe*

I know a lot of people swear by that method. It seems so unecessary though, and is harmfull in my opinion to both the nut and the new water pump when you put it on. Not only that, but the burr that is created by the chisle will make it more difficult to use the proper tool in the future. I bought my water pump wrench from NAPA years ago for like $75 thinking I would use it one time and probably never again. Well, I've now used it not only on my own trucks, but I've helped a few guys do water pumps and the tool has more than paid for itself. If your a tool ***** like I am, you won't mind having it in your tool chest no matter what. LOL

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I dont recall what size wrench it was but if you have a wrench big enough (it was like 1 7/8") it will work. We just used a regular big ole wrench. Even the cheap big wrenches are heavy enough for the fan bolt.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Fan nut is around 185 lbs.... I think... I can't find it in my library.... Go figure... Wifey musta taken it and hid it from me... I think shes trying to show me that I'm getting old and forgetful... At least I know what her favorite flower is... Thats gold medal all purpose....:eek::rotflmao:rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online