Factory turbo issues?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
a leak will not cause the wheel to be hard to turn. best way I know to check it for coking and not actual bearing wear is to fire the truck up and let it warm up, kill it and take the intake side leading to the compressor off, while watching the compressor wheel pull the fss wire off of the ip. count the amount of seconds it takes for the wheel to stop, I know that on dodges it is a good 10 seconds or more, report back. also take note of how the wheel comes to stop, does it slowly spool down to a stop or does it slow down and then kind of jerk to a stop. If it is just coking then you might could just take it apart and clean it, obviously inspect the bearings and if there is pitting then they are done

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can beat those parts prices. With new oem garrett.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably from improper operation. With a turbo, you CAN NOT just shut the engine off after driving if you want the turbo to last. You must let the enging idle for 4 - 5 minutes to allow the bearings to cool down or the oil will burn on the bearings, eventually doing just what you are experiencing. Its called coking. Most people dont do this, so they shorten the life of the turbo drastically. There are shut down kits available to do this for you.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably from improper operation. With a turbo, you CAN NOT just shut the engine off after driving if you want the turbo to last. You must let the enging idle for 4 - 5 minutes to allow the bearings to cool down or the oil will burn on the bearings, eventually doing just what you are experiencing. Its called coking. Most people dont do this, so they shorten the life of the turbo drastically. There are shut down kits available to do this for you.

True, if the turbo was working hard, but under low power or daily driving use you can shut them off any time. I routinely have my turbo daily driver cars have turbos that last 250k miles. If you are not sure if the turbo was working hard, install an egt sensor.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
So I warmed up the engine and pulled the intake. Restarted the truck and pulled the fss. The turbo took about 5-6 seconds to come to a complete stop. It was gradual. I tried to move the shaft to see if there was any play in it and couldn't really get it to move. My EGTs stay around 275ish at idle (no idea if that's normal, I just installed the gauge yesterday). Does my turbo sound like it's still good? I think I may have an issue with the tubing for my turbo gauge as far as my readings go?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
did it spin freely when warm?, I do not know specific times for these trucks but I know on a cummins that means that the turbo is going but not gone.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably just cold weather but i could be wrong, most of everyone on here is from a southern warm state and don't experience actual cold temperature, oil gets very thick when its cold and will cause parts to act like that, very important in cold weather to let the engine warm up before driving so the oil cant get warm and lubricate properly