Factory trailer wiring

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So whilst this is on my psd, a lot of it is the same for the obs idi trucks. (From what I could find)
I have the factory trailer brake plug under the dash. Which apparently when the PO picked it up from the factory, didn't know there was such a thing. So basically the wires have been spliced and ran every which way. I've fixed a few of them, but will be buying the adapter. Tekonsha 3035-P Brake Control Wiring Adapter for Ford https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NZQIDE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NY2kybD4VMCYK
Will most likely be replacing the controller also.

Now for the question part. Lol at the rear of the truck, I don't have the added wiring. The trailer plug has been spliced from the other wires. No adapter harness. There's a wire from the controller ran back for the trailer brake. Is there a factory wire in that under dash plug that already does this? Which I would try to find the rear adapter harness also. (If it's still available, I haven't found much information on this yet.)

Also I don't have the extra under hood relays. But I read one guy said he found the relays and box in a junkyard, and it plugged right up. He said the plugs were just capped off or something. (I haven't really looked on mine, but I do know there's some extra plugs in that area)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You should have a blue wire in the factory plug. This is the brake feed.

Its been awhile, there should be two plugs at the rear of the truck for a 7 pin connector. It might be hidden in the left frame rail.

The 92-97 trailer tow package harness is obsolete from Ford. So your best bet is the junkyard for the parts. It is very much plug and play.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
After a bit more reading, it seems the two plugs at the rear will be part of a individual harness from the added under hood "camper/tow package" relays.
It seems the blue brake wire terminates at the firewall plug. So I need to find the whole harness, and un-pin the brake wire from the firewall plug.
Then it will be all plug and play.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
IF, the bricknose has no relay harness under the hood, I have one for you. Pulled off a '94 RCLB. Has a funky relay config. Once I get my chassis harness on and test it out, I'll let you know.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
See what all is there.
Of course I haven't seen one in person.
I'll have to make a junkyard trip sometime. Want new seats anyways. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member