Factory cruise into truck w/no cruise

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
What is it going to take to put a used cruise into a 31 f250 5sp that didn't come with cruise?
I was interested in buying the cruise from a another member, but before we make the deal, I want to know that it will work. Can I get by with just getting a wheel with the controls or am I going to need the whole column? I was thinking that I could run the wiring through my column.
I don't want to have to ship the entire column, and I'm sure he will need it for awhile.
Also, how does the cruise module read the speed? Will I need something there too?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the wiring should already be there for the cruise control, if your truck is like mine then you can just change the wheel and plug the cruise up under the hood and run the cable to the throttle, also the hose to the brake switch.

I recently completely took all the wiring out of my 90 F250 and replaced it with the wiring from a diesel truck of the same year, that had cruise and my truck originally didn't. The old gasoline engine wiring harness had all the plugs for cruise even though it never had it. The steering column has all the wiring in it as well, it just doesn't have the cruise wheel, so I am just going to put the wheel and the cruise control setup from the diesel truck over into mine and have cruise control.

Yours may be different, who knows?
There was only one set of wires behind the dash the was different (between the gas and diesel wiring), aside from the obvious wts and wif light wiring, and that was a trailer wiring setup with a couple relays, I assume it was original because it was hard wired into the loom instead of just an add on.

But the under hood harness was completely different, except for the cruise harness .

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
No, it sounded like too much trouble. I decided to wait and get an aftermarket model. There is a place about an hour west that is supposed to carry and install them. Seemed like the easier way to go!

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
not even close. the ford setup is literally plug and play. aftermarket is gonna be a hack job and your gonna end up with a mess. "cruise works fine but now my a/c isnt as cold", all because the reject in the install booth spliced your factory loom and used scotch locks. get the ford stuff and be done with it.

punk

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i added cruise to my 94 and it was an easy plug and play that took me about a half hour. i have to add though that it dousent work but i never know if it worked before. i havent taken the time to trouble shoot anything but all the connectors were right there to plug everything in. easy easy

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, all the cruise control functions are still run through the horn circuit on that model year, so except for the wheel, everything else should be there.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Cool! I guess that changes my future plans yet again. But at least it's for the better this time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online