Factory ATS Filter setup restrictive?

Reaction score
I am debating trying a new air filter setup. My plan was to get some 3" exhaust pipe and U-Bends and fab up myself a "cold" air intake placing a cone filter somewhere twords the front of the truck...possibly behind the headlight/radiator area etc. Or cowl area

Right now im using the "stock" ats filter setup with the flat paper air filter connected to my stock snorkle.

However before I go and take everything off, and spend the money for a new setup, should I even bother? Is the ats setup restrictive? Maby its easier to just throw in a K+N dropin filter?

Black dawg

Reaction score
On my truck I had a obs powerstroke airbox with a k&n and recently went to a shorter intake with a cone filter. the difference in low end crispness is huge

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
the stock filter that goes in that box is only rated at 75CFM. Get something like an AFE dry flow and you will notice a big difference.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
the stock filter that goes in that box is only rated at 75CFM. Get something like an AFE dry flow and you will notice a big difference.

I call BS, the engine wants to consume 96CFM at idle. (that is not compensating for the 1"hg it pulls at idle)

sassyrel

Reaction score
I call BS, the engine wants to consume 96CFM at idle. (that is not compensating for the 1"hg it pulls at idle)

calm down a bit--he said--the AIR filter--is only rated 75---he DIDNT say what the engine consumed--he may not know what the engine consumes

sassyrel

Reaction score
I am debating trying a new air filter setup. My plan was to get some 3" exhaust pipe and U-Bends and fab up myself a "cold" air intake placing a cone filter somewhere twords the front of the truck...possibly behind the headlight/radiator area etc. Or cowl area

Right now im using the "stock" ats filter setup with the flat paper air filter connected to my stock snorkle.

However before I go and take everything off, and spend the money for a new setup, should I even bother? Is the ats setup restrictive? Maby its easier to just throw in a K+N dropin filter?

NOOOOO!!!!!!!! k&n--in spite of anyone that gives a glowing report--ive been there--and the rings are out of my engine--go the afe dryflo--

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Stay with the ATS box you cant get much better than that, get a drop in high flow filter of your choice, then either buy or make a hypermax style cowl induction or make a ram-air intake system and you will be as happy as you possibly can;Sweet

Reaction score
ok thanks guys. I myself am not a fan of K+N filters anyway really, as I had a yamaha raptor 660 atv, with a k+N filter. It allowed sand into the engine and destroyed all 5valves!!!

OK, so I will try and hunt down a high flow drop-in filter, and get rid of that stock snorkle.....to me it has always looked a bit restrictive anyway. maby ill do for a cowl setup....anyone ever make their own?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The only thing different on my setup is that tube that goes down by the drivers side turn signal, I took the metal plate off at the end that was covering half the area.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Wix/Napa listed filter for the factory turbo setup is indeed rated at only 75 CFM, which is ridiculous, as the N/A filter is rated at 120, and the PSD one at 320. The common 6637 Napa/46637 Wix filter that most PSD guys(myself included) use for a DIY intake is rated at 425.

sassyrel

Reaction score
The Wix/Napa listed filter for the factory turbo setup is indeed rated at only 75 CFM, which is ridiculous, as the N/A filter is rated at 120, and the PSD one at 320. The common 6637 Napa/46637 Wix filter that most PSD guys(myself included) use for a DIY intake is rated at 425.

i wonder if thats because--they supply a piece of foam--to put in there-to hold the filter in place??? the orig ford filter--with NO foam, has to flow wayyyy better than that!!!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I will give my experience, i bought the wix filter, came with the foam, i didnt use it cause i didnt want more restriction, so i just used the paper filter, the filter is about 4 days old now, after driving home this evening i popped the hood to check something out and notice that the air filter gauge was showing a restriction, it was half way up the gaugecookoo

So i even pulled the box apart and checked it all to make sure that nothing got sucked in there sure enough there is nothing in there, and the filter still looks new, so the stock wix is very restrictive,

I also noticed a 2psi drop in boost between using the wix filter vs the open element or no filter at all, so i guess i know my open element filter dont filter much:puke:

The wix filters good, just restricts the flow really bad,

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I think if I was turbo charged I would look into the stock 6.0 air filter setup!

It would take some fabrication to make it work but they flow tons of air and last longer than standard filters. The element itself is a bit pricey but like I said should last a long time. Not to mention it will keep the dirt and other junk out that most high flow filters let through.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I think if I was turbo charged I would look into the stock 6.0 air filter setup!

It would take some fabrication to make it work but they flow tons of air and last longer than standard filters. The element itself is a bit pricey but like I said should last a long time. Not to mention it will keep the dirt and other junk out that most high flow filters let through.

im going to look into probly AFE dryflow for my box cause its much easier than fabbing, so were can i get one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle