Facet Filter Reminder

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently got my new engine back in truck and took it for a test run yesterday. Everything seemed to be working well aside from engine surging at idle sometimes. I started investigating what could be wrong, not knowing where to start since everything on my rig has either been replaced or rebuilt. I just happened to look at this aux. pump that had a hex cap on the bottom. I only use this pump if I have done work on the fuel system & air is present in lines. I did some research on this pump & found out that there is a filter element in it.
I took filter out this morning & found that it was completely clogged & caked with dirt and rubber pieces from the tank pickups. Couldn't believe it even ran like that and probably hasn't been cleaned in 10+ years.
For those who run a facet filter like I do, just a friendly reminder that there is a very fine mesh filter that should be cleaned periodically. Sure does run good now :rock:.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good find and sound advice to others with this pump. My Carrier has a clear plastic filter bowl and you can see the filter element inside that. I need to clean mine. I have never cleaned it in many more years than I will admit too...

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a clear replaceable filter between fuel switch and fuel pump to catch the junk.

Rick

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's why I prefer the Duralift facet pump. The filter housing is clear plastic. I can see rust flakes in mine already after less than a year. I figure I'll dump and clean it when I get a new front tank and the bronco rear tank put in.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the facets pump with the clear filter like others. For years I've been running it including running the tank dry on a few occations. Was surprised the filter bowl remained clear.

Finally decided to change my fuel filter and opened this up at the same time. It had a lot of sediment at the bottom. Was doing its job. Must just have nice clean tanks and glad I have the extra filtration to help the fuel filter last longer.