Facet Duralift With Turned Up IP & Turbo

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Lately i have been reading that the duralift pump seems to not be able to keep up with turned up IP's and turbo set-ups(nothing crazy, just factory systems).

I have seen that Heath has these pumps on his two trucks and one pump does fine and the other one will drop to 0psi relatively easy.

What are other people seeing as far as life span and performance is concerned with the duralift with turned up turbo's and IP's?

I like the fact that the Duralift is substantially less money than going with an alternative e-fuel system, but it would also be cheaper to do the expensive e-fuel right off the bat than it would be to get the duralift, have it fail then need to do the other system in the end. I can afford the nice e-fuel system, but would still like to spread out the spending right now lol. maybe even wait until this fall to go all out on the e-fuel and then throw the duralift in the back seat.

thanks for any input.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Duralift pump about two months ago and am very happy with it. I have a turbo with a turned up pump and I have not had any issues with fuel starvation. In fact, I think it actually runs better - but who knows. Anyhow, it's supposed to deliver 30 gph which is a lot more fuel than you would ever consume while driving.

I do not have any fuel pressure reading to share, just on the street performance. I routinely tow 10-12000 lbs. of hay and equipment and there haven't been any problems.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I installed a Duralift pump about two months ago and am very happy with it. I have a turbo with a turned up pump and I have not had any issues with fuel starvation. In fact, I think it actually runs better - but who knows. Anyhow, it's supposed to deliver 30 gph which is a lot more fuel than you would ever consume while driving.

I do not have any fuel pressure reading to share, just on the street performance. I routinely tow 10-12000 lbs. of hay and equipment and there haven't been any problems.

Most everyone forgets about the fuel it is pumping and doesn't burn, I advise everyone to reroute their return system to a 5 gallon bucket and watch the flow..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ive been running teh dura lifts longer than anyone. THe first one went on over 6 years ago and over 150k miles and my pump is turned up and my turbo sings like an opera star when I'm towing heavy, I have all teh fuel Ive ever needed, regardelss of hill steepness or altitude. I put a second one on my bed tank about 3 years ago du to the tanks height and have not had a problem with either ( aside from when I first put the bed tank on, and was trying to run it through the one pump that was mounted too low, THAT caused probles to where it wouldnt pump, these things DO NOT like to be force fed like most electric pumps, they will cavitate and stop pumping, this is why I had to mount a second pump ABOVE my bed tank so it could pull the fuel instead of having it shoved down its throat. They simply dont like that. THey were built to lift fuel 10 feet, they dont like being below a tank.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking the question as I was wondering the same thing.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks Robert, do you have a fuel pressure gauge installed?

I had one on at one time a few years ago when I was doing some timing experiments, It never dropped below about 2-3 psi under full load.

What you folks have to remember is that a pumps pressure rating is what it SHUTS OFF or goes into internal BYPASS at, it is NOT to be considered the pressure that you will see when everything is going full tilt, because the rated pressure is based on a dead restriction on the outlet end of the pump, it is not based on fuel flying through freely through the IP and return lines at full throttle. The pump is rated higer than required for teh engine
The fuel is supposed to go straight through the pump when going full tilt.
On thing I think a lot of folks have been overlooking is , I bet that a bunch of folks that have been griping about not enough fuel, probably have a missing or malfunctioning check ball setup in their fuel filter head.
You are not supposed to be bypassing fuel into the lines while running like that Its supposed to close off. If all of your fuel pressure is going out the byass line, then your fuel is going to follow the path of least resistance,

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 has a turbo and a turned up pump fed by a duralift and yesterday I hauled a tractor that was in the 12,000lbs range plus the trailer so someplace around 16k, and with my foot buried to the floor and EGT's holding at 1100 degrees I still had between 3 and 4 psi of fuel pressure.....

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. i am 99% sure i am going to bite the bullet and get a Walbro lift pump and a regulator. I don't want to risk starving my new IP at all. i also only want to do this once. I will make a thread when i do the install of my new IP and my e-fuel conversion.

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone elaborate on the check ball in the fuel filter head? I have not heard of this before, can't go look at the truck today either..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
94 should have a ball and spring, IIRC.
Basically it'll let a little bit of air/fuel flow back to the filter. But not the other way around.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. i am 99% sure i am going to bite the bullet and get a Walbro lift pump and a regulator. I don't want to risk starving my new IP at all. i also only want to do this once. I will make a thread when i do the install of my new IP and my e-fuel conversion.

Witch walbro you getting?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online