F350 front springs

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
I picked up a 90 crewcab F350 4x4 last weekend for a donor for a front D60 swap for Blue. it was a plow truck too so the working plow was supposedly part of the allure to this particular purchase. while unloading it i was looking at the suspension and axle. i had kinda thought it looked like it didnt sit much higher than my F250. turns out the ends of the main springs are bent downwards decently. from the constant weight of the plow no doubt. so... does anyone have any stock height front F350 springs theyd care to unload for cheap or trade for other parts? i bought a donor truck so this could just be a saturday swap and all parts would be there. turns out the springs are tweaked and the drag link is bent. so much for that idea... however it has a running 351, E40D and transfer case, 4 good doors and good front fenders that are for sale or trade for springs if anyones interested.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reverse arched springs are worn out springs. You can use your 250 springs if you need to just understand its going to be alot rougher ride.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
all the 250 springs ive seen have a negative arch. the 350s all seem to have a slight positive arch to them and also a significantly higher ride height from the factory. these are still very slightly positive arch but the ends have a bend to them. its very obvious they are shot.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I'd go get a set off a truck with a gas engine in it. Mine sits nice I think cause it spent most of it's life with a 460 in it.

One thing you may check into is, I believe you might be able to use the front leafs off of an F450 2wd.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Couple of random facts,

There are about 3 different spring combinations available from Ford for the F350 with a D60 front. The way the axle is positioned on the spring stack is different on a 250 than a 350. If you put a D60 on a 250 stack without shims between the axle and the stack you will experience death wobble. Some people here believe it is illegal to run shims between the axle and spring stack. I cannot comment on that as I have not dug into it.

There is like 300 pounds difference between a 460 and 6.9/7.3.

Good luck with your project.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I'd go get a set off a truck with a gas engine in it. Mine sits nice I think cause it spent most of it's life with a 460 in it.

One thing you may check into is, I believe you might be able to use the front leafs off of an F450 2wd.

Yes, you can.....the fsuperduty springs will give just under 6 inches of lift.

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
Couple of random facts,

There are about 3 different spring combinations available from Ford for the F350 with a D60 front. The way the axle is positioned on the spring stack is different on a 250 than a 350. If you put a D60 on a 250 stack without shims between the axle and the stack you will experience death wobble.

IDK about this. Been running a D60 under new F250 springs for long enough to wear out a set of GY Silent Armors. No issues with death wobble...:dunno Yes, I had it aligned by a shop that had a clue about 4x4 alignments too. Full disclosure: I have 2" blocks on the rear instead of the 4" F350 blocks I'd like to have. That might be enough to tip the front alignment into needing wedges on the spring pads.

As an aside: road force balancing is SO worth the cost (had all 7 tires balanced on a road force machine the same trip the alignment was done). :D Road Force balance info: http://www.gsp9700.com/

Nick

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i just scrapped an F superduty last fall. thought about the front springs but figured theyd ride rough as hell and didnt want that much lift. that and i was sick and tired of dealing with/looking at that junk and just wanted it gone. i measured yesterday. the donor f350 has 8" between tire and wheel arch. my f250 has 6". so automatically ill be getting a couple inches (the wife will be happy). plus ill probably just use an AAL also. or possibly have the local spring shop re arch them????

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fsuperduty springs ride pretty rough when the shocks are bad lol. I have them on my truck and can clear 38s. Im planning a 3inch body lift to give a little more fender clearance though.

RedTruck

Reaction score
IDK about this. Been running a D60 under new F250 springs for long enough to wear out a set of GY Silent Armors. No issues with death wobble...:dunno Yes, I had it aligned by a shop that had a clue about 4x4 alignments too. Full disclosure: I have 2" blocks on the rear instead of the 4" F350 blocks I'd like to have. That might be enough to tip the front alignment into needing wedges on the spring pads.

I ran mine like this on 3 rides all creating the death wobble thing at roughly 40 mph. New spring bushings and all rod ends tight with the track bar and stabilizer in place. I didn't have it aligned. After getting shook off the road a few times I was looking for 350 springs.

There was a guy locally that ran 250 springs successfully with shims. I wonder if an alignment can be done with offset bushings enough to compensate for the difference...hence you not having issues. Are you running a king pin D60 or a ball joint one?

Paul

John Deere

Reaction score
Running f250 springs on mine as well for now, I haven't experienced death wobble on mine. Planning to switch to 350 springs when I find them as the ride is harsh. The axle is a kingpin and only alignment was toe done by me. A friend of mine had same results as me on his axle swap.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have a set as well. Not sure if they are still around. I swapped them for the springs in my Skyjacker lift kit years ago.

Heath