F350 D60 +Add-a-leaf = "Dog tracking"?

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
A while back I installed a Skyjacker Add-a-leaf on the front of my F-350. Before this the truck drove ans handled excellent. Had an alignment done after the lift. The truck drives OK, but wanders a bit. I've come to learn the truck is "dogthrough ng" going down the road. You can see the whole left side of the truck if you're following it. I did some measuring today and found the front axle is sitting roughly about 1/2" to the left. I'm assuming this is due to the stock track bar in the stock bracket pulling it over at the new ride height.
So I'm thinking about an adjustable bar, either building one or buying one. Looking for suggestions...so far I've found an adjustable track bar kit from SKY Manufacturing, but at $125-$130 I feel I could build it cheaper.
Anyone else been through this besides me?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
suggest take track bar off...then remeasure...if lines up...then you know what to do...!

I DO NOT RECOMEND DRIVING WITHOUT TRACK BAR...just back forth 10 feet to settle the springs without track bar...then measure...once done, reconnect track bar.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
That is the plan tomorrow after work. Thinking whatever I end up doing I'd like to be able to utilize it with a 4-6" lift in the future.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my truck does this too. Hasn't really affected anything, just looks really funny if you know what to look for as it goes down the road. Gonna look into this more.....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a flat surface to work on and are good with a tape...and plumb bob...do centre to centre and side to side positioning of front and rear axles...if one side is shorter than other it can cause issues too...front to back that is axle to axle...

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It festered after I told you your truck was dog tracking to the right huh? lol I checked my front end after you texted me about what you found. After getting the front lift springs in, axle is shoved over a solid inch with the trucks weight back on the axle. Guess I'm building a drop bracket.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
suggest take track bar off...then remeasure...if lines up...then you know what to do...!

I DO NOT RECOMEND DRIVING WITHOUT TRACK BAR...just back forth 10 feet to settle the springs without track bar...then measure...once done, reconnect track bar.

Well back when I was younger and stupider I did just that. I tell ya, there are bonuses to not having a track bar. Here are 5 of them!

1) Are you unsure if a wheel bearing is gonna break loose and throw your truck into a ditch? Drive without a track bar!
2) Are you curious if you have worn steering components? Drive without a track bar!
3) Ever wondered what its like to be pointed in a slightly different steering direction with every bump in the road? Drive without a track bar!
4) Do you have a curiosity about whether your heart can handle stress? Drive without a track bar!
5) Want a real thrill? Drive without a track bar down a FSR!

Long story short, don't drive without a track bar!

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
It festered after I told you your truck was dog tracking to the right huh? lol I checked my front end after you texted me about what you found. After getting the front lift springs in, axle is shoved over a solid inch with the trucks weight back on the axle. Guess I'm building a drop bracket.

We can build you a drop backer here at work and get it centered up. I think I'm going to do an adjustable bar for myself until I pony up for the lift. Besides, I need an excuse to get you over to help me lift this heavy SOB bumper I bought!

Once I get the front axle squared up, I'll see what kind of difference it makes. If there's still a tracking issue I will have to get it on the rack and hunt it down.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brought home some .25" plate from work to build it. Wife was pretty pissed I put it in my lunch bag.... she couldn't lift it out. Lol
I think I'm not going to do much after getting the crew here this weekend. Probably just going to admire how much taller mine is over yours..... So if you want to try to get it hung on there we might be able to get it done.