F350 auto hub slipping/grinding noise

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 94 F350 with factory auto-hubs when I shift into 4wd I get a slipping/grinding noise from the drivers side hub and it seems to not fully engage in 4wd. If the truck is unloaded and and on flat ground it will eventually kick in, but it seems as if its under a load it just slips and never engages. I have opened up the hub, cleaned, checked, and reassembled a few times and I cant find anything wrong... but something is up??? I know that folks are going to want to say just swap them for Warn manual hubs but I am not sure that's the route I want to take at this time. Any ideas as to what's going on? I know my description is vague but hopefully someone can give me some ideas. Thanks all...
Cole

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 94 F350 with factory auto-hubs when I shift into 4wd I get a slipping/grinding noise from the drivers side hub and it seems to not fully engage in 4wd. If the truck is unloaded and and on flat ground it will eventually kick in, but it seems as if its under a load it just slips and never engages. I have opened up the hub, cleaned, checked, and reassembled a few times and I cant find anything wrong... but something is up??? I know that folks are going to want to say just swap them for Warn manual hubs but I am not sure that's the route I want to take at this time. Any ideas as to what's going on? I know my description is vague but hopefully someone can give me some ideas. Thanks all...
Cole
You are correct a swap to a manual hub is indeed a good idea, as what is happening is hard to decipher, sounds like parts are worn or on verge of breaking.

You say you take apart the hubs however have you removed all the parts inside the hub on the truck there should be a gear on the axle that the hub sildes on/off to engage and dissengage, I can't recall perfectly as it's been years since I've had one of those apart. However the part the stub axle is in may be the culprit. The auto hubs where not known for strength and endurance.

In all honesty manual is the way to go.

JM2CW

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a set of Warn manual locking hubs. Auto locking hubs are notorious for not locking.

Good luck

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I didn't even know they were offered back then.

Are they vacuum operated?
If so, may check there.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine pop and bang every now and than but never left me hang. Don't know what's wrong never looked

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like manual hubs for the positive lock, but I've been real happy with the auto hubs on my 93. Never failed me yet and I like the fact I don't have to get out and engage them. I actually have two sets of auto hubs and two sets of manual hubs for my trucks. I'm probably going to set both up for auto, but if they give me trouble I'll go manual.

You said you cleaned them up real good which is where I would have started also. maybe check for any burrs or rough spots on the hub parts or stub shaft that might possibly make them not engage. I've just recently had a set apart, but don't remember any specifics. I would also try swapping them from side to side to see if it's the auto hub or possibly something else. I think there is a spring in there. Is there a chance the spring on one side is week?

Might check U-joints and stuff to make sure they aren't dry and popping / grinding.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys... I really don't want to go manual as I don't want to have to get out to lock in the hubs, but really how big of a deal is that! So, I will do a little more checking out of the auto-hub situation, but if they are toast and I want to go manual, do I need the warn locking hubs and a conversion kit? Does anyone happen to have the part numbers for everything I will need? Sorry to ask stupid questions, but I will be ordering everything online and doing about 25 hours worth of work to the ol girl at once. I just want to make sure I have everything I need (or at least do my best to try).

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to go manual, you need the manual hubs and a different spindle nut kit. The factory manual hubs are good ones also. Look just like one of the warn sets.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the spindle bearing and see if its still alive, if the needles fall out and the stub shaft is able to "walk" around, that will cause all kinds of problems be it manual or auto.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online