F-superduty Hydroboost have a filter?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I was looking at parts for my hydroboost and there was an inline filter shown. It looked like an AC system orifice tube. Is there a filter in the hydro boost system somewhere? And if there isnt' should there be? I'm wondering if I have a dirty hydroboost and was looking to add a fitler. Or replace it if there's one there.

thanks
Jeremy

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you if there is one stock, but I would put a filter in. Most pumps or gearboxes require you to add one to validate the warranty for a reason. Hook it up in the return line from the steering gear, fluid is always running through the gearbox but not always through the hydroboost return (only when you press the brake pedal).

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no filter on the 87-97 f-super duty/f450 trucks,hydroboost system.
i once read an article (don't recall where or what now,but i recall it was from ford,like a tsb or something and i think it was talking about the newer trucks)
where it said not to install a permanent filter but if one suspected dirty fluid issues,one could flush and install a filter on the return line for i forget how long but like a ride or so,or 20 mins to clean and filter the fluid but then to remove the filter.

that said,i installed a filter on the return line on the hydro i installed for chip truck (my f250)
Chip Truck w/ Specs & Mods

and iv left it there for years now without any side effects.
my f450 remains oem without one.so you can make your own choice as to install one temp or long term but adding one is very easy.simply install it in the return line before the res.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a magnatec filter (wix knockoff) on the return from the HB. I would have preferred it in the return between the cooler and the PS pump but there was just no room there with stock configuration. We had a discussion a long while back about where to put it and that it probably only flows fluid when the brake pedal is used but I figure that's better than nothing.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I ebayed a kit today to rebuild my hydro boost. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work right. I don't think it's adding power. Feels like great manual brakes to me. But not Awesome Power brakes.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The hmmwv have a filter in the system.
I can't say what type it is exactly. Maybe one of the other military members know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online