F-Superduty 4x4 picture.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
They weren't offered from the factory, they had to go to an aftermarket company and setup with a 4x4 front end. The f-superduty's used a stupid transmission mounted park brake so i don't know what they did with that when the t case was mounted, but the front axle was whatever the up-fitter saw fit to put under it, i think it was said above that it's a m-h designed/built/forgot about no parts available axle. I'm not sure but i was told once that the f-superdutys used a dana 110, but I couldn't say for sure on that.

my old boss and friend bought not 1 but 2 davey tree trucks like that

im in love

99+ SD eat your heart out

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main problem with maybe-hebuiltit stuff is that everytime i've tried to get parts for there junk it was like trying to reverse the rotation of the earth. It was for med/heavy duty trucks so i don't know if the light duty stuff is different, but they couldn't seem to pull it off with THEIR part numbers and diagrams cookoo Anyone know who else converted them?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but i was told once that the f-superdutys used a dana 110, but I couldn't say for sure on that.

The "new" F450 superduty's have the 110's. The F-Superduty's had 10 lug, 10K Dana 80's. I've got one of those Dana 80's in the shop and I've got plans for it.

Heath

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "new" F450 superduty's have the 110's. The F-Superduty's had 10 lug, 10K Dana 80's. I've got one of those Dana 80's in the shop and I've got plans for it.

Heath

Thanks, must be what he was talking about.

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you talking about F450/F-superduty or F250/350?
the leafs pictured in the PG&E F450 is not stock. there is an extra leaf in the spring pack. it also looks like it's a replacement from OEM.
F-superduty/450

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine has an ex SCE truck with that setup. Painfully low gearing (5.13 I think?) but it can't be stopped. It's got a nice 8x8 flatbed - called it bigfoot. IIRC they run a NP205 t-case too. This one has a pto hydraulic winch.

The truck was involved in a wreck some year ago with a fully loaded rock truck - they were pulling an empty 16' car trailer on the freeway doing about 45-50 and got rear ended by this truck (cabover dump and transfer, ~80k gross) doing over 70. Driver was on crack and says he never saw the large bright yellow F-450... cookoo :mad: Anyway, the truck basically goes right over top of the trailer and slams into the back of the truck and they get pushed down the road about 1/4 mile, then he finally tried to put it onto the shoulder and winds up jack knifing the rig - corner of the flatbed wound up a good 18" into the corner of the cabover. :eek:

Sum total damage? Totaled the car trailer - it looked like it got stepped on. Serious damage to the cabover sheet metal and I think it might have tweaked the frame. Damage to the ford? Several scratches on the flatbed. :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, that the 2wd style of springs I've seen. Do you think if I add leafs that it could be used as a spring pack for 4x4?
i've seen guys use the springs to get a 4in lift on their smaller pickups. the springs are good for 6k/lbs
if you do use them, a kidney belt will required.

weareweird69

Reaction score
Marmon Herrington used the dana 70 prior to the carraro mc80 front axle. Which is an Italian made axle IIRC.

Question, Do you think it front leafs are the factory 2x4 leafs or 1 ton 4x4 ?
I am converting a 2x4 to 4x4 and was thinking about reusing the factory front leafs.
thanks Jason

Like someone else said. If you use them. You'll get 3-4" of lift since the F-Superduty is a spring under design from the factory

I'd like to know what they did with the parking brake.

Marmon Herrington used their own transfer case. Called a MAG-400. It has the parking brake on the back.

Quigley was a main converter of these trucks. They used a Dana 60 or Dana 70 up front depending on what year the truck was converted. They also produced their own machined transfer case halves or tail shafts depending on if it was a 4407 or 1356 that held the parking brake.

My main problem with maybe-hebuiltit stuff is that everytime i've tried to get parts for there junk it was like trying to reverse the rotation of the earth. It was for med/heavy duty trucks so i don't know if the light duty stuff is different, but they couldn't seem to pull it off with THEIR part numbers and diagrams cookoo Anyone know who else converted them?

Tulsa truck did them. Marmon Herrington. Monroe truck. Quigley 4x4.

The MC-80 axle is extremely expensive.

The Dana 70 is extremely hard to find parts for.

One company used dana 70's that were passenger drop and others used a Dana 60 drivers side drop with Chevy knuckles and letters with an 8 to 10 lug adapter.

There is no confirmation on who built what with what other than M-H using the MC-80 and in house transfer case. Quigley used the Dana 70 with modified transfer case housings.

Other variations are possible from the above companies depending on demand of the trucks and technology at the time.

i've seen guys use the springs to get a 4in lift on their smaller pickups. the springs are good for 6k/lbs
if you do use them, a kidney belt will required.

Mine doesnt ride that bad. The back is HARD without any thing back there.

I'm actually converting a 2wd To 4wd.

I have the 8 to 10 lug adapters and a Dana 60 front axle. Can't get my hands on any transfer case tail housings so I'm using an NP205 with a drive line brake.

It should be an interesting build.

Yes this is my first post but I had some info to share with you all.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Sounds like you've done your research on the f450's.

weareweird69

Reaction score
Yeah just a little. And nothing. Browsing the web for F-superduty info lol