F super duty rear to F350 will it work?

ERnurse

Reaction score
Hi all just found a real low mile rear on an early 90's f super duty. Will those heavier springs bolt up to my 86 f 350 frame without modding. Im hesitant to switch out the entire rear axle due to the 10 vs 8 lug wheels but I would really like the disk brakes on it. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you going to do about a parking brake? That setup had the parking brake on the back of the transmission. Depending on what you are doing, and where you live, the parking brake missing can be a deal breaker. No way to hold the truck when hauling a load, and no way to pass inspections if you have them. I personally cannot tolerate a manual truck without a parking brake. A automatic is different though.

P.S. Check the width. I am not up on the early superduties that well, but if you have a pickup and the donor superduty was a cab and chassis, it's not going to fit, it will be the wrong width.

ERnurse

Reaction score
OK good point with the p brake. My truck is a Cab/chassis with a flat bed on it. As long as the springs are the same length they should work correct?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will "bolt up" with F450 u-bolts and hardware. the axle tubes are much thicker than the Sterling 10.25. one more item to consider is the U-joint, the F450 is almost twice as large and as mentioned, the parking brake issue too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The rear discs are nice but.. Do you know what gear ratio you end up with? I recall the lowest is something like 5:32 or about there and they go up from there to high 5's. Then if you do not change the front axles you end up carrying 2 different spare tires with an 8 and 10 lug pattern.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
axles ratios are 4.63 and 5.13. you can bolt one in but like stated,you'll have overkill gearing for what a ton job can haul and tow and the calipers don't have a cable brake on them and the super large u-joint and the 10 lug vs 8.none of it adds up to being a good idea really lol.
the disc brakes sure are nice though.not just because they're disc but because the calipers are massive! hd truck size.they work awesome.everything about an f-super duty works awesome so it is kinda to bad, f350 cab and chassis owners at least, couldn't do an easy swap,but just too many issues and complications to make it worthwhile and safe enough.fantastic question. ;Sweet
hey,at least the hydroboost is a direct swap! that's the biggest and nicest part about the f450 system.;Really

Last edited:

ERnurse

Reaction score
Yeah after reading all of this I think I will take an "if its not broke don't fix it." attitude. Thanks everyone for all of the great info.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spring hangers and springs are not a direct swap. I put the big cast steel f 450 hangers on my f350 and had to drill all but 1 hole on each side.

It wasn't fun but it's strong as an ox and won't rust out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk