Extended Cranking ?

mbass777

Reaction score
OK here goes 93 IDI NA 276345 miles IP at 22000 new Inj 276300 here is my problem bought this truck in columbia SC pulled a fifthwheel to Rapid City SD the last couple of days after it sits for more than 3 hours it is hard to start glow plug light for 10 sec good cranking new battrieys end up having to hold it to the floor and crank like crazy for about 6 sec before it will start and run goes in to cold start after that starts with a touch of the key unless left for more than 3 hours then back to hold to the floor sounds to me like its loosing prime any thoughts have run no test wheather is crap right now want to be ready when it stops raining and the sun comes out will be turnning the fuel down as its way to rich for this altitude could it be flooding in cold start ?

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Return lines and check valve in the fuel filter head is what I changed when mine had the extended crank game going on. Any injectors or hoses connecting them look wet?

mbass777

Reaction score
all lines are bone dry this only happens cold the rest of the time it fires right off how do I test the check valve in the filter head and were do I get one if bad

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only did it cold, air in the system. The check valve is in the return line on the filter head. when u pull the return line off the barb fitting that is left is the check valve. pull it out and if you can see through it the valve is bad. If i remember right I got mine from rock auto.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another possibility is leaks on the filter head, especially the o-rings for the fuel heater. One can often spot this because it usually leaks a very small amount of fuel out while running (then sucks air in when stopped).

tenlug

Reaction score
My 90 was became hard to start about 6 months ago (pump had less than 35,000, new caps, O rings, and injectors, and did the filter head at the same time). The starter was about 4 years old but did not sound like it was turning slow. I took a shot and replaced the starter. What a rpm difference. Starts like a new truck. Might work for you. Steve

tenlug

Reaction score
My 90 became hard to start about 6 months ago (pump had less than 35,000, new caps, O rings, and injectors, and did the filter head at the same time). The starter was about 4 years old but did not sound like it was turning slow. I took a shot and replaced the starter. What a rpm difference. Starts like a new truck. Might work for you. Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance