Exhaust

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i was tired of the stock exhaust and yesterday decied i was going to cut it off and install this flowmaster i had lying around. Its a 3 inch in and out 50 series, its about 3/4 the length of the stock ford muffler and half the weight. I cut the exhaust about 2 feet from the exhaust flange. Then i run a 2.5inch to 3 inch adapter with clamps to the 3 inch pipe and about 2 more feet is the muffler. Unfortunily the stock tail pipe was about 4 inches too far the to passenger side so i cut it off too. Now im looking for a turn down so the exhaust goes towards the ground and not my rear end.

Im also thinking about moving the muffler closer to the front of the truck and then running the exhaust out the side by the passenger side rear wheel. But if i do that im not sure how i would support the muffler up. Muffler was used came off a 7.3 IDI so it had the mounting hardware set up almost perfect. Sounds pretty good, but now the exhaust sounds like a big block gasser and less like a diesel. i know most people say dont use one, but i had it so i put it on. Truck seems a lot more peppy then it did before. So this should hold me over till i can get a real diesel exhaust for my truck, looking at the dynomax system, comes with new y pipe and 4 inch tail pipe. I will try and get sound clips of it, just need to find a camera.

discbrks

Reaction score
Make sure you put a turn down on the muffler. Don't let it blow exhaust on the rear end. My buddy did practically the same exh. on his 91 F-150 - with no turn down. Hot exhaust blowing on the brake line (on the rear end) caused the fluid to swell, busted the rear brake hose, and he managed to pull off the highway just in time to watch his truck burn to the ground.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
bigger exhaust definitely helps the lack of power issue out. After I did the stacks on my truck, you can hear the turbo is boosting better (which of course has caused me headaches already) but either way, truck is breathing way better. Sounds like you're doing pretty good with what you've got!

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im doing alright, its hard trying to find a turn down here in the big city. Called the local RUSH truck center and all they had was 5 inches and bigger. :love: So im gonna call a muffler shop today and see that they have.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Im doing alright, its hard trying to find a turn down here in the big city. Called the local RUSH truck center and all they had was 5 inches and bigger. :love: So im gonna call a muffler shop today and see that they have.

Just use a short 45-90* tube :dunno

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i dont think bends are going to be an issues i have to worry about the only bend in the system is the Y pipe, everything else is strait. Got a turn down at napa and hacked it to fit right. System works good now, its now going to BBQ my truck and it is freer flowing than it was before, cost me maybe 40 bucks total.

Thanks

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
man i need a soundclip of a flowmaster on one! i just ordered my 2 3" flowmaster super 44's. i'm gonna run them through the stacks, outta sound awsome! ;Sweet then if/when i twin turbo it i'll take em off and run straight pipe. :D

-Jon

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I wasn't impressed with the dyno max I installed on one of the work trucks. Kinda cobbled together with some powerstroke parts and a y pipe that is just a little better than stock but no whre near as good as a Banks. I'm going to try that other one next time (cant remember exactly Aerojet?) Looks better on line at least.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autojet. I'm going to throw a 4" straight pipe, no muffler with the dynomax tail pipe from NAPA on my truck while I have it down for the transmission install.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I put my stock 96 Powerstroke exhaust on one of the IDI trucks and it works great but it's almost too loud for a work truck, of course it must wiegh 10,000 lbs empty.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online