exhaust through hood?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Well the Y pipe on the ole 69 finally fell apart. I am using this as a possible opportunity to modify the exhaust. I would like to run the exhaust through the hood with a short stack protruding about 5" or so above the surface of the hood. Has anyone done this before? Do I have to flip the manifolds? or is it even possible to flip them? Any suggestions or tips on how to do this would help since it doesnt look like it will be as easy as I would like it to be.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i dont know about your state but i am fairly sure that it would be considered a visual obstruction. that and your exhaust is supposed to outlet after the passenger compartment otherwise you will be chocking on exhaust fumes while driving down the road, your heater pulls air through right on front of your windsheild.:puke:

unless it was like a farm only truck then it would be cool....:Sly

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
You are joking I hope !!!

No joke! I have always wanted to do this but hated to mess with the pipe if every thing was ok. Now it is broken and it is a good time to tear into it.

As far as exhaust fumes........they already come in through the rust holes in the cab. I use this as a backup/beater truck, I probably only ever drive it about once or twice a month an average of 20-30 miles each time I do.

I just think it would be cool..........maybe this concept is too redneck for some here to fathom?!LOL But the truck kinda has the redneck theme going for it right now.........even have a dixie horn on the ole girl!;Sweet
See pic below:

Attachments

• 86 6.9.jpg
    86 6.9.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 029_27A.JPG
    029_27A.JPG
    398 KB · Views: 23

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
well i cant say to much on the manifolds except that the bolt patterns would have to be symetrical....as far as putting them through the hood i would think you would need a big hole because
1. you would have to figure in for the hood rotating as it was raised, so the shorter the pipes come out the better for that.
2. the holes would also have to be big enough to clear any rotational force with the engine rocking on the motor mounts.

it sure would sound mean but i still think you are going to be soaking up allot of exhaust.....maybee you should run veggie oil so it smells better

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Just make up a set of tubular header, 4 into 1 and let stick up through the hood! I bet on a good hard pull, you can get 3 feet of fire out of there!!! :)

Forget the obstruction, what about the sound? If you drive this thing on the road, you are going to get noticed in all the wrong ways!!!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I got a video from the sledpull forum here with a dogge that has a hood exhaust. It sure look cool but I don't know about a daily driver.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
You have my vote for COOLNESS,:thumbsup: The manifolds will not work upside down, I tried that when I was contemplating twin turbos, But I'm sure any exhaust shop could easily run a 2 in 1 up through the hood. But I think about 18" through the hood would look better.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I think it looks cool most of the pullers mount a stack to the hood then have a short smaller piece of exhaust so the hood closes down on to it but theres no way he'll have fire shooting out of it unless something is wrong with it or he adds something to make burn even the pullers get only a few inches of fire and thats with big time mods