Exhaust restricive

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I would share. Backed up a little to far to the pond today, while trying to play some pond hockey with the son. In my fun of unstucking the old girl the exhaust pulled off leaving an open down pipe. Once free of the mud, ice, a little throttle felt like a lot more. Felt like I was in first, but it was definitely was 2nd and high range. Okay, now I have to investigate this a little farther. Hop on the highway, Holy $#*% it pulls hard and rev happy too. Before it would rev to 3200, but really the show was over at 2500 time to shift. Also boost spools quicker in double over. Now I have to figure out better exhaust, current set is a full banks exhaust system. Would not have thought the banks muffler would be holding it back so much, but it could have 20 years of built up carbon. Not to fond of a straight pipe, but may have to try and see.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had the stock pipes,muffler and tail pipe with screans in it. I had a local shop put 3 inch pipe and a 3 inch flowmaster on it thinking that would improve it's power. Made no difference whatsoever!

Thinking of going with duals to see if that helps.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I would share. Backed up a little to far to the pond today, while trying to play some pond hockey with the son. In my fun of unstucking the old girl the exhaust pulled off leaving an open down pipe. Once free of the mud, ice, a little throttle felt like a lot more. Felt like I was in first, but it was definitely was 2nd and high range. Okay, now I have to investigate this a little farther. Hop on the highway, Holy $#*% it pulls hard and rev happy too. Before it would rev to 3200, but really the show was over at 2500 time to shift. Also boost spools quicker in double over. Now I have to figure out better exhaust, current set is a full banks exhaust system. Would not have thought the banks muffler would be holding it back so much, but it could have 20 years of built up carbon. Not to fond of a straight pipe, but may have to try and see.
I've been running strait pipe for a few years now and I to noticed a big difference with a free flowing exhaust it is a little louder but with the turbo it really isn't as loud as I ever imagined it to be nothing like my 6.0 ever was

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope to go 3" or 4" and use a walker "big truck muffler" when I get to it.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went 3 inch downpipe to 4 inch straightpipe. Standard cab and it's not too loud. Happy with it.

Bought a 4 inch over axle pipe from Napa, had a 3 inch pipe bent to my specs for the downpipe, made a 3" v-flange out of a header flange pipe. Got a length of 4" exhaust pipe and a 3 to 4 inch adapter.

Might have $150 in the exhaust but it's been on there for 10 years already no issues.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a short Nelson truck muffler on dad's 1990 and then a turn down it was an ATS turbo and 3" downpipe , I bumped it up to 4" as soon as the pipe pointed back. it sounded great and seemed to increase throttle response , but I never hauled more than 10,000lbs behind it so I'm not sure if it really increased pulling power.
it was an F350 supercab dually with 4.10s and E4OD so it pulled hard even with the 3" exhaust. 4" muffler was a full flow through no restriction.
muffler,adapter and turn down with proper truck clamps was under $150 Canadian and is still on the truck 10yrs later and the new owner has no problems with it.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had the stock pipes,muffler and tail pipe with screans in it. I had a local shop put 3 inch pipe and a 3 inch flowmaster on it thinking that would improve it's power. Made no difference whatsoever!

Thinking of going with duals to see if that helps.
Flow master straight through or a gasoline truck style flow master that is designed to have backpressure? You don’t really want back pressure on a diesel most diesel mufflers are basically a straight through design. Any of the performance ones anyway. even the walker mufflers that are very quite are basically straight through.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you want a straight through designed muffler, especially on trucks running turbos you will not have any noise issues. Anything you can put it will be better than the stock exhaust. By age most these trucks are the stock mufflers are very restrictive, and everything has a thick layer of burnt oil and spot on it, making it a smaller ID. than original. On na trucks, getting rid of the terrible y pipe makes a big difference. I’ve seen 400* drops in egts just by replacing the stock exhaust with a 4” dynamax kit on an na truck. When your engine is making less than 200hp, an exhaust upgrade feels like a significant change.

Conky

Reaction score
Flow master straight through or a gasoline truck style flow master that is designed to have backpressure? You don’t really want back pressure on a diesel most diesel mufflers are basically a straight through design. Any of the performance ones anyway. even the walker mufflers that are very quite are basically straight through.

Omfg did he say designed for backpressure!!!! Im gonna f.... loose it

Runningaford

Reaction score
I'm turbo'd, and straight piped out before the rear tire. I don't have the greatest hearing in the world, but it's hardly any louder than when the muffler was there. When my wife has driven the truck, and I've stayed, you can't hear the truck past the drive way; I know a Cummins straight piped, or a straight piped NA would be heard.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Stock y pipe on these trucks is very restrictive.

When I first got my truck it had the stock exhaust on it. It would struggle to hit 80mph. Once I ditched the stock exhaust I was able to bury the speedometer.

Dynomax makes a nice kit for these trucks. The part number is 19430. You can even order the parts individually which is what I did because all I wanted was the y pipe. Its a much better design over the stock one.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stumble on this from diamond eye exhaust. I know its for a powerstroke but mainly concerned about the tailpipe and muffler. Connection to downpipe would require some fabrication anyways. Might be a possibility.

I used the diamond Eye down pipe kit for a Powerstroke then modified it for my turbo. Then I used their cat delete pipe which is “for off-road use only” to go from the ball joint on the down pipe to 4”. Worked great.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Pipe with the walker BTM and the modified top half of the DP. It’s a two piece unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726