Exhaust leak or Valve tick?

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the ol 1992 7.3 warms up ya stand at the stack and year an obvious tticking over the regular idle hum. it ticks at a constant rate and consistant with engine speed. any ideas?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that i heard that sound coming from my previous truck and my friends truck, he dropped a valve and i had low compression. It would really help to put a metal bar or something to put on the valve cover and listen for certain spots that it is more prominent. Then you can figure out where it is coming from easier. You can also put it in other places to listen for the noise. Oh and put the other end of the metal bar in your ear. :) Good luck

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
This is kinda related yet not totally related. I have 2 stethoscopes KD brand. When purchased they have a rod to touch against the engine or whatever with,to hear the noise. The 2nd one I took the end off the tube and slid in a piece of steel brake line 3/16 I think. I use the one with the tube to head me in the direction of the noise,then zero in on it. ( use it like a small microphone) You can point point a small exhaust leak to within 1/8th of an inch of it. This is the best way I have ever found to find a small exhaust leak,such as a cracked manifold a leak at a pipe joint or the early stage of en exhaust manifold gasket leaking(when all you can hear is a faint tick-tick).
Try it you might like it well worth the extra money to have 2.I think nobody should be without at least 1 stethoscope. I have hearing problems -what a blessing these tools are. Not only that my grand kids love to listen to an engine with me,thats the best part.;Sweet

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did the stethescope and it came the loudest from the passenger. then i yanked the valve cover. and the rockers were wore out. replaced all them and now i hear it on the driver side. aint got the money to do that side yet but now it definately sounds like its on the driver side. ive also listened to the manifolds an couldnt get anything. i really wanna just take off the exhaust after the manifolds and see which side ticks lol but im too busy right now lol

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did the stethescope and it came the loudest from the passenger. then i yanked the valve cover. and the rockers were wore out. ...
I'm curious as to how you determined they were "wore out"?
Do yours look like mine in the pic below? 195,00 miles and they're still good.

When the valve is closed/seated and you grab the rocker with your hand it will have movement > especially when the lifter bleeds down. And, a bad lifter not pumping-up will tick too.
When you removed the rockers, did you grab the valve spring to make sure the valve guide to valve stem wasn't sloppy?
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Last edited:

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take the saddle out of each rocker andlook for a "rut" it dug in the rocker itself. the valve chatter on the passenger is gone. but you gotta have the saddle out to see if theyre wore out

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take the saddle out of each rocker andlook for a "rut" it dug in the rocker itself. the valve chatter on the passenger is gone. but you gotta have the saddle out to see if theyre wore out
Question...when you installed the new rockers, did you install them all at once then allowing the lifters to bleed down > OR did you rotate the engine making sure the cam was on the heel prior to installing each rocker?

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installed snug. started it up and torqued while running. havent seen any trouble out of any yet

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installed snug. started it up and torqued while running. havent seen any trouble out of any yet
Damn, that engine must have ran like crap until everything was tightened down.
I would have feared a pushrod bouncing out :eek:

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha nah. i tightened to bout10 ft-lbs before starting i made sure that wouldnt happen hahaha. ive always done non adjustable rockers this way dont know why just always have

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha nah never had any trouble with em since i started workin on engines

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha nah never had any trouble with em since i started workin on engines
Luckily I've never had to remove/adjust rockers on my IDI, I just know there is no adjustment > unlike a SB/BBC Chevy with adjustable rockers solid or hyd > and I always do them on the heel of the cam.
Still think I would just crank them all down in short increments...giving the tappet time to bleed down of course.;Really

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah while it was running i just went nice and slow with em kinda hard cuz i had to feel for the click but after i shut it down i double checked em and the checked out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle