exhaust gas temperatures

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are normal EGT's on a stock 7.3 IDI (no mods)?
Idling, cruising, and hard pull numbers would be good.
TIA
<als>

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idle should be under 300. If the engine is cold or has been idling for a long time you may see 1-200. If you're idling after driving you may see 3-400 since it takes some time to cool down under 300.

Cruise I'd expect 6-800 depending on load.

Full power should be ~1100. Max is ~1250 though you'll see different opinions. Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about 1200-1250 under full load on a non turbo though anything over that would be.
~John

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny, i was about to post this exact same question. Tapped my probe in yesterday, going to hook the gauge up tomorrow and see what mines at. 430 kms on engine, pump has been rebuilt at some point in its life, well see..

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
all depends on condition of fuel system.....mine will idle at 100-150.....NEVER gets higher than 850-900.....that would be an example of numbers from a lack luster fuel system.....

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hot idle 2-250(Basically the bottom of the gauge). Highway cruise 5-600, Hard pull uphill 10-1300 depending on my foot. My system does need to be timed though. Sender located between rear two cylinders on the driver's side.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I goofed and put mine between first 2 cyl on driver side :(

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sender is between last 2 cyl on drivers side. My idle temp seems higher than the rest of ya's. 350* is a warm engine. When I first start it and let it sit and idle it will stay around 250*. After driving for a while I don't think it has ever dropped below 300*.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idle should be under 300. If the engine is cold or has been idling for a long time you may see 1-200. If you're idling after driving you may see 3-400 since it takes some time to cool down under 300.

Cruise I'd expect 6-800 depending on load.

Full power should be ~1100. Max is ~1250 though you'll see different opinions. Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about 1200-1250 under full load on a non turbo though anything over that would be.
~John

That's about what I am seeing. Probe is between #4 and #6.
This thing must be over-fueling at WOT - I can get to 1300 in a heartbeat, especially with a 3-axle trailer attached.
It's awfully quiet, even maxed, so I'm thinking the muffler is getting clogged and aggravating everything.
Just did a 200+ mile run with the trailer, and tried to keep it under 1200, but it is really slow off the line then :)
Used about 1 1/4 tanks of fuel (~16 gal. front tank only - that's another story....). That about right?
This is an old '91 dually with a steel bed and considerable weight in the boxes, but I don't know what the rear ratio is.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retarded timing could cause high EGTs too, and could be a factor in it being overly quiet.

definitly. Whole reason I got an EGT gauge is to "gauge" where my timing is at.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's probably not a very good idea - there's so many things that can influence EGTs, and timing doesn't have that much effect unless it's way off. You've got the cart before the horse my friend...

Only way to reliably set timing is with a meter. One of the few downsides to the idi.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^timing will play a huge part on EGTs, as noted by icanfix all when he moved from 8(i think) to 9.9. dropped idle egts by 100 deg.
A timing meter will simply show you what the engine timing is at, thats all. it will not show any effects of that specific timing. We know the range these things operate at, from 6-11 it seems, but there is (there HAS to be) a correlation in timing vs EGT.
for example, overly advanced timing on a diesel may produce lower EGTs but higher coolant temps.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^timing will play a huge part on EGTs, as noted by icanfix all when he moved from 8(i think) to 9.9. dropped idle egts by 100 deg.
A timing meter will simply show you what the engine timing is at, thats all. it will not show any effects of that specific timing. We know the range these things operate at, from 6-11 it seems, but there is (there HAS to be) a correlation in timing vs EGT.
for example, overly advanced timing on a diesel may produce lower EGTs but higher coolant temps.

Would timing affect hot starts? This truck cranks great cold (after a couple of glow plug cycles) even after sitting for weeks.
It's a ***** sometimes to get it cranked after it warms up - I switch off the glowplug controller and hit it with a tiny squirt of
ether, but it is verrrry easy to squirt too much. I might mention that I added a 5 PSI electric lift pump right after the tank
switch, but that did not seem to change anything. Also, I don't think that the cold start advance is working - there does not
seem to be any change in idle speed from cold to warm. IIRC, it did work when I got the truck. Could this be it? Easy fix?
Also, it may be running cold - stays about on the N in easy driving and climbs to the "o" if loaded. Need a gauge :)
I haven't messed with the timing because it pulls about as good as I would expect a N/A engine to do, but it may be off.
There is an obvious low cylinder (hear it when cranking), but it does not miss when running. A very little white smoke
after cranking, almost none after it warms up.
<als>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker