Exhaust for IDI from PSD??

ajd257

Reaction score
Howdy, my first day at the site, got a question already. I have a 1994 supercab F-250 7.3L IDI turbo model. Tranny is an auto. I would like to repipe the truck but I cant find any kits for the truck. However, I have found kits for the 94-97 PSD's for a reasonable price. Can I make this system work on my IDI or not. note, I have no objections or problems with running a chop saw and welder, if ya know what I mean. The kit comes off the turbo @ 3" then turns into 3 1/2" until it gets to the bottom of the truck then turns to 4". Is it possible to make this work without a thousand headaches and regrets??

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajd257 said:
Howdy, my first day at the site, got a question already. I have a 1994 supercab F-250 7.3L IDI turbo model. Tranny is an auto. I would like to repipe the truck but I cant find any kits for the truck. However, I have found kits for the 94-97 PSD's for a reasonable price. Can I make this system work on my IDI or not. note, I have no objections or problems with running a chop saw and welder, if ya know what I mean. The kit comes off the turbo @ 3" then turns into 3 1/2" until it gets to the bottom of the truck then turns to 4". Is it possible to make this work without a thousand headaches and regrets??
It'll bolt up. ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajd257 said:
Even the downpipe???
You're pushing your luck there.
Use your existing downpipe and have the two get welded together at a workable location or use a exhaust "band" type clamp.

ajd257

Reaction score
Will there be much of a performance increase while still using my existing DP?

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Not with that downpipe. It is squashed between the firewall and the motor. You can adapt a Superduty DP or have one made of 3" then add the PSD exhaust. Without an open and round downpipe you won't gain much. Banks sells DPs for our trucks but you might have to find a way to attach to the exhaust you're getting, which might not be that bad.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are a factory turbo setup, you will need to find ATS and get their revised outlet and downpipe. There will be no obvious increase in power but a free breathing exhaust never hurt anybody either. BTW...you have to call ATS tech support. Their website has not been updated for the basement motors.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
That would be the best :thumbsup: but the three parts will run $500 or so the last I heard. The DP alone should make a difference. They are awful! -cuss Like the '94-'97 PSD DPs. No flow! :puke:

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on your level of cash vs time, you can go with the ATS revised outlet and downpipe and then modify a stock +99 SD exhaust for the rest. It has been done and donor parts are cheap, $50 is common. Here is a link to a series of pictures showing a used +99 going onto a 92 http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showgallery.php?cat=3102&ppuser=10365&papass=&thumb=1. If you have the cash, skip the SD exhaust and order the entire thing from ATS.

Last edited:

ajd257

Reaction score
Thanks alot fellas, Ill check out banks and see what they want for a downpipe. The guy who sells the system I was lookin at also sells downpipes separate. maybe Id be able to talk him into sellin me the setup without the DP and cut me a break on the $$$$

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I think that the ATS kit is the better one (they designed the original for Fix Or Repair Daily) But Ford screwed it up by using smaller down pipe and housing. ATS kit comes with new turbo housing and 3 inch down pipe + straight thru muffler + 3 inch pipes. I wish thet had gone to 4 inch after the muffler. Banks uses the standard turbo housing then 3 1/2 inch. If you are going to do the exhaust, you should do the intake system to take full advantage, the stock snorkel is a joke. Diesels like lots of cool air and no back presure. If you are going to change the exhaust I would also suggest putting in a pyro and boost guage, you can turn up the boost to 8-10 psi (factory (4-6). With guages you can monitor whats going on when you turn up the pump, turbo. Hope this helps.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
deanj said:
For what it is worth, I think that the ATS kit is the better one (they designed the original for Fix Or Repair Daily) But Ford screwed it up by using smaller down pipe and housing. ATS kit comes with new turbo housing and 3 inch down pipe + straight thru muffler + 3 inch pipes. I wish thet had gone to 4 inch after the muffler. Banks uses the standard turbo housing then 3 1/2 inch. If you are going to do the exhaust, you should do the intake system to take full advantage, the stock snorkel is a joke. Diesels like lots of cool air and no back presure. If you are going to change the exhaust I would also suggest putting in a pyro and boost guage, you can turn up the boost to 8-10 psi (factory (4-6). With guages you can monitor whats going on when you turn up the pump, turbo. Hope this helps.

Just to add my 2 bits,

Go with the ATS Downpipr like Dean said. The ATS Kit is the same as the factry Ford Kit, just labled FORD on the intake instead of ATS.

THEN, go to NAPA and get a 3" to 4" reducer, and a Walker 4" tailpipe part #55102. ($50.00) It is made for the 99 and up Super Duties. Go to a Semi Truck Parts Shop, get a 10' piece of 4" pipe, one 3" and 2 4" Stainless Steel Band clamp's.

Install the 3" to 4" reducer at your down pipe with one 3" SS band clamp. Then run the 4" pipe out from there to the Walker Tail Pipe. (no muffler needed) After the Tailpipe you will need an extension, I suggest a 4" to 5" reducer and a piece of Chrome Semi Stack from your local semi junk yard.

Total cost for me was under $150.00 and it sounds awesome.

Here are some pics: http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=6284&cat=500&thumb=1

Hope this helps!

Then hit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert