Exhaust Band Clamps

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Has anybody used the butt-joint band clamps on their exhaust? do they hold the pipes nice and tight and seal good? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-33280/media/images

i have seen the lap-joint clamps for when you have a "bell end" on one end of the pipe and then put another pipe into that end.

in my case i would be needing the butt-joint for a mufflerectamy.

thanks for any input

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used those all the time on class 8 trucks. They work well, but do not support much weight. Use silicon to prevent soot leaks between the pipe and clamp. enjoy.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's essentially what I used to connect my downpipe to an exhaust pipe, after running with only the downpipe for 4 years :shocked: Works quite well...it'll be a bit smaller than it looks like it's supposed to be, but as you tighten the bolts down, it forces the metal to stretch a bit to make a better seal.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
sweetness! thanks. i will go with those clamps then and put some acoustical on the joints. i also have a left over hanger that came with the exhaust system. i could use that for added support.

seems like it would be a good time to upgrade the other 2 clamps on the exhaust to the band clamp rather than the u-bolt style..........

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh those things are awesome. I'll never use u-bolt clamps again. I think I got mine from truck pro for cheaper. Not a lick of any corrosion on mine. I guess stainless steel is great! Lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah I see. Too bad it's not a 3inch you need. I think I still have at least one new one I could make you a deal on. I'd have to check though.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use those when I did the 4-inch on my truck. It's nice because you actually can remove the exhaust later if needed. I highly recommend them. Agreed though they won't support weight though so you'll need to have the pipes supported and just use the clamps to hold it all together.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice the pipes are butted up against the other. I would use two band clamps and a larger piece of pipe over the butt ends. This will make it much stronger.

BTW, you are a dirty cross poster :backoff

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I didn't notice the pipes are butted up against the other. I would use two band clamps and a larger piece of pipe over the butt ends. This will make it much stronger.

BTW, you are a dirty cross poster :backoff
I've always slipped one end of the pipe into the other. Then put the clamp over it.
Even with those band clamps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7