Ether okay with bad plugs?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JD, good to see that you came over :)

One of my concerns is that my compression may have been compromised by that %$#@ mud puddle, along with some idiot behind the wheel. ;) Those compression numbers I mentioned on the "other" site actually predate the top end project, so I've been wanting to reverify them anyways...and the potential water injestion issue gives urgency to that. :)

No need to worry about the purple wire; I've been on a push-button GP setup for about a year and a half now. Actually, for that same reason, I may start searching for 12 volt constant-duty plugs; the Berus that I've got in there now lasted less than a year. Still not sure why they died; I'm guessing that someone at the tire shop pushed the button and held it too long while not knowing what it was. *sigh* Either that, or the mud puddle shorted out the relay and I didn't notice (although the relay seems fine now).

I've got white smoke coming out from the rear of the truck, and sometimes she sounds like she's going to catch...but it's been in the 50's around here, and this truck's always been real finicky about cold-starting, so I don't think simply cranking will get her lit off...although anything's possible, I suppose. :) After getting the batteries charged, I may try a full 30 second crank and see if I get anywhere...maybe later today. :)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

Got the truck lit off. No ether, no glow plugs. It took an act of Congress to get her started, but I let the starter rest long enough between cranks that, after about 5 minutes of on/off cranking (and trying hard to run), she lit.

Good news from a compression angle; once she lit, she almost immediately started running smoothly...so, while I still want to get the compression checked ASAP, I'm feeling more positive about it.

So, keeping my fingers crossed...at least I know the engine still runs :)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Originally posted by Diezel_Cowboy
NOTICE how everyone above who says they use ether, also say that they use it all the time! Addicted just like i said in my previous post. I'm not saying it hurts the engine as long as the glowplugs arent used, I'm simply saying that once you use it may as well plan on using it forever!

DC,

It's not about being addicted to it, if you have ever started a diesel on a snort then you realize how quickly they fire up and you just get lazy about getting under the hood to fix the glow plugs. They will lite right off. I have used it a few times and then fixed my glow plug system so.... Why because I'm extremely lazy and would much rather just sit in the cab and turn the key, no buttons to push, no opening the hood, no grabbing the can.

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim I would suggest you think about swapping over to the 7.3 style glow plug system. Its an easy conversion. Too easy. Trouble free system and you don't have to worry that some moron will burn out your glow plugs when you have it worked on. More than likely if you don't have the knocking and white smoke associated with bent rods, don't you think its all good? I think if you really sucked a lot of water it would have locked her up right then, you may have had little enough that it was vapor by the time it got to the cylinders. Which would be just like redneck water injection. If you want to go solid state send me a PM or email here : [email protected] I'd be glad to help you,
J.D.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JD, how trouble-free is "trouble-free"? My memory's always been bad (senile at 23, not a good sign ;)), but I thought there were some issues with the 7.3l controller setup as well and that, while considerably better than the 6.9l system, wasn't exactly bulletproof either.

Depending on how much a 7.3l controller is, it's worth thinking about, though...and I'll have to figure out something else to do with the switch that I put in. ;)

I agree that the engine's probably okay, but better safe than sorry IMHO. Besides, since I'm pulling the plugs anyways, it's not that hard to get the check done now...just have to get the computer going again *sigh*

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Tim the only problem with the Solid State controller is when you have bad connections. Most of the controllers in my opinion that get replaced are only done so because someone did not want to take the time to clean/retighten the connections, because of how the system works one must make sure the connections are clean/tight. The Enterprise is still sporting her's that was installed at the factory in Canada. Yes I've had some issues with the glow plug system but it was always either a bad glow plug or bad connection (once I forgot to hook up the ground - would do nothing). So the statement that they are bullet proof pretty much is true. That was one thing they got right - it just plain works.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Travis...I'm pretty well sold on the idea; just have to figure out if I can afford the retrofit kit or not...

You can understand my skepticism, though, knowing how wonderfully the '83-'86 6.9l GP system didn't work. ;)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I can understand that considering the first ones were something just short of a Rube Goldberg contraption...

You know where the ball drops, rolls down the track, hits a lever which strikes a match, match burns through spring holding cheese, cheese drops in front of a mouse. Mouse takes off running on wheel which is hooked to a generator, generator spins up, which powers the glow plugs.... :fart :joker:

pafixitman

Reaction score
Originally posted by argve
I can understand that considering the first ones were something just short of a Rube Goldberg contraption...

You know where the ball drops, rolls down the track, hits a lever which strikes a match, match burns through spring holding cheese, cheese drops in front of a mouse. Mouse takes off running on wheel which is hooked to a generator, generator spins up, which powers the glow plugs.... :fart :joker:

Damn, I knew I should not have killed that mouse!:shoot: :sorry:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mouse is still doing his thing. 22 years later. :rolleyes:

Warden, what is the price tag on that 7.3 conversion kit? I'm going to need it for the Moosetang

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, I'm not sure yet *lol* I called two IH dealers and got two different prices. One wanted $332, and the other wanted $366.

Hoss sent me a PM last week telling me that he paid $310 for his kit...so I'm guessing that it's going to depend on your dealer.

From the write-up that Hoss did, the part number is 1809443C96.

Hope that helps :)

Didn't early '83's use a slightly different system? IIRC, you have a "Wait To Start" light instead of the "Glow Plug" light that '84-'86 trucks have...maybe your system's more reliable? :)

My van had the mouse, but I think the truck had a gerbil with three broken legs...the system was NEVER reliable, even when my uncle had her...I changed to a push-button not too long after I got her...

BTW, Mel, not sure if you saw the other thread, but I got the compression check done...looks like my engine survived the water puddle *whew* Now I need a snorkel :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online