Engine temp light

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
More information is needed. Have you done any engine work. Did you get all the trapped air out of the engine is any coolant was replaced. Was the radiator low on coolant. And last item sometimes the "check engine" lite comes on if the sender in the drivers side head at the front fails. What was the coolant dash gauge saying when this was happening..

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I would check to see that the coolant is topped off properly an add an aftermarket temp gauge. I got a VDO from NAPA for $50 or so, great addition to the rig.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well no.. A coolant change 6 months ago would have burped any trapped air long ago...

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt that about a normal level? Seems when I check coolant level when cold that there is about an inch of airspace at the top of the rad.

I haven't been having overheating issues, and my temp gauge never goes past the N of "normal"

Maybe you need a new thermostat?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Your radiator sould be full to the bottom of the radiator cap. If it's not, coolant is going somewhere. :dunno

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have something to add to this?

The thermostat could be the problem, cause last winter the top half of my radiator froze (added water to the coolant and didn't run the truck long enough for it to mix good) so it could have damaged the thermostat.

All mine run about the same level as green diesel. Never have any overheating problems.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The proper level in the radiators is right at the top of the fill neck. If its not there you have a problem. Check the over flow line. Sometimes they get plugged up or soft. If they can't form a good tight seal on the radiator they will suck in air and wont pull coolant back from the over flow tank. They push out the coolant ok when it warms up and expands but can't suck it back if the line leaks or its partly plugged with crap...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US