Engine swap

osus86diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at swapping my 6.9 for a 7.3. Mainly because I burnt a ring in the 6.9.

While i have the motor out is there anything you guys suggest I do to it?

What about the trans? It's a c-6 with 187xxx on it and I am not sure if it's been touched. It shifts pretty decent.

Thirdly, what am I going to need to get this swap done? What seals should I replace? Hose? Mounts? If it's going to be apart i might as well put it back together in good order.

How long do you guys think it will take to complete this project?

Lots of questions, I know, but I want to try to avoid as many surprises that I can.

Thanks in advanced for any tips and pointers!:thumbsup:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The big question is how much time and money do you want to spend on the *new* engine before plopping it in ?

Depending on it's mileage, it would probably be a good idea to at least replace the rear main, balancer seals and wear sleeves. If you have time, it wouldn't hurt to replace the valve stem seals
Don't forget a new thermostat,get it at the dealer.

osus86diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rather not spend too much time on the *new* engine before popping it in, but if there are things I should really take care of before I pop it in I can live with the truck being down for a little bit longer.

tractorman86

Reaction score
valve cover gaskets, oil pan, front and main seals. if you are in a hurry. head gaskets and head studs if you just want a little insurence.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the valve covers and look for loose valve, broken springs, or other problems. They valve cover gaskets tend to leak and a new set should be put on anyway. You find a broken spring or a real floppy/sloppy valve, and you'd need to get that taken care of before installing it. 7.3 can be "valve droppers" and they are certainly more prone to cavitation. So, the other thing I'd test is the coolant (if there is any left in the block) of 7.3 for DCA (Diesel Coolant Additive). If none was used, cavitation could be a bigger possibility on that motor.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matthias and I are putting a pretty high milage engine in the Night Moose. It runs great though, and funds are tight, so all we are planning on doing is pulling the valve covers for a visual inspection, and replacing the thermostat and oil pan. I'll try to pick up another engine (or a whole parts truck - they have been a staple on the property for quite a while now) in the mean time we are going to just run it and hope for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726