engine swap candidate?

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Hello-
I'm considering swapping in a 12v cummins engine in my ford truck. I've seen the fordcummins website and it's quite compelling. The questions I haven't been able to answer are about the differences between generations of the cummins engine.
Is the rotary pump less desirerable than the later 7100?
If so, why? It seems to hinge around performance upgrades...Just what is the difference.
I'm not planning on drag racing, or sled pulling. I would like a lot of power, ideally with out a lot of smoke.
Any comments are gratefully recieved. Thanks

dthompson86

Reaction score
Try Autoworldmt.com also. They are nice people. I am in the middle of a '99 F350-'97 Cummins swap myself. I went with the P7100 motor because the turn more RPMs STOCK. And b/c I wanted the newer Dodge NV4500 5spd, which is better than the old Getrag G360.

AUGIE

AUGIE
Reaction score
Hahn, i noted in your thread bio you are using veggie oil for fuel. I don't know this for sure but the first gen. 12 valve 1989 to 1993 is more conducive to the veg. oil than the 94 and after. You might want to check into this before purchasing a ctd. Just a thought from Augie, because i am looking at burning veg. also

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm debating on whether the performance upgrade path being better for 7100 is important for me or not. I am planning on running WVO with this conversion, so I'll check on compatibility for that as well. I heartily recommend the www.frybrid.com site for their forum, and also for the kits they sell. Full disclosure I am friends with the owner andhelped with some of the development (welding specs etc). I'll let you know what I find.

AUGIE

AUGIE
Reaction score
Hey Hahn, Augie back at you . I am really interested in the wvo set up and how well it works. How can we get together so i can pick your brain some and find out more info??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7