Engine Sound?

DMcV

Reaction score
After adding the AEM Cold air intake I've noticed some new sounds from under the hood. Some sound OK but there is one that I'm curious about :confused:
I will try to explain.... it only happens when the engine revs change between shifts...or when I rev the engine at idle... as the engine revs decrease I hear this "Ghaaaaaaaaa" sort of sound -sorry for such a poor discription- it wasn't audible when I had the stock air filter on...so I'm guessing it has something to do with the air intake sounds.
Any guesses as what this might be ??? Any harm being done ?
Thanks for your help
Dennis

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The noise you are hearing was there before but more muffled through the stock air box. What the noise is is a rapid deceleration of the compressor and on your SD it might be the waste gate opening as well. Think of your engine as a positive displacement pump, one revolution moves a given volume of air, your turbo is a centrifugal pump which moves a different volume based upon suction and discharge pressures. When the positive displacement pump slows down the centrifugal pump deadheads against it.. Ghaaaaa......

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont forget the muffler bearings ,, or the canooter valve ,,,, be sure to check the blinker fluid while u have the hood up

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No No, it's the Hyfluson Cipiltator that is gaging,:puke: the kenuton valve could also be slow acting which will make the Hyfluson Ciplitator gage:puke:

Seriously what Mike said is what it is. Ghaaaaaaaa

zpd307

Reaction score
i noticed a lot more noise from the motor on my 6.0 when i took the front lid off of the air box. it was soooo annoying that i promptly put it back on as soon as i could. that is why i dont think i will do the tymar filter on the new beast. i have to do something because it still has the original death air filter box that came on the early 99s....