Engine seems to have a miss

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Good luck with surgery! That one sucks, dad was down for a few weeks after that.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes.

The surgery went well. They found out the gall bladder was in worse condition than they thought :eek:, so it was a good thing to remove it now. ;Sweet

Still hurts, of course. Pain pills help. Probably will be off for 1 1/2 - 2 weeks recovery.

Thanks again for the well wishes. I will let you know when I am back at work on the truck and get the lifters done.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really glad you got that issue taken care of. Wifey had problems with her gall bladder since she was around 20. She had it taken out around 5 years ago.. No more issues with that but she needs to be careful about eating greasy foods. They wil upset her stomahe badly. The rig can wait for you to touch her again so please don't be in a rush. Healing take time. Enjoy the down time and read something good..

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm back and ready to tackle the lifters. Parts are on order ;Sweet (Rock Auto) and hopefully get the work done next Thurs (6/13, next day off after expected delivery date).

Ended up off work for 5 1/2 weeks :confused:. 4 for the gall bladder and 1 when I had a bad reaction to anesthesia after dental work. It caused me to have irregular heart rate for a day and a half. Not fun. I've had no negative reactions in the past, just things have changed after 50 :dunno

I will fill you in when the work is done. Try to remember pictures for those of you who want their fix :D

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, The lifters are done!!! WORKS FANTASTIC!!! This is what I knew a Baby Moose and injectors should be like ;Sweet:D;Sweet:D Had a lot of stuff to do at once and forgot pictures :dunno, Sorry for those who need their fix. Truck runs smooth, no miss, It is awesome.

A week ago, Wed. evening before I planned on doing the lifters on Thurs, my slave cyl on my clutch went bye bye. I decided to replace the whole works. Ordered it from Rock Auto (the Wagner kit w/o pictures) last Fri. It came in this week on Wed. It wasn't for the h/d trans. it also didn't have the slave. Went to Napa yesterday and got the master and slave, and ordered the line. It was there this morning at 8. picked it up, and it installed great. It is a metal line with braided line on the slave end. It routed a little different, but I had no problems after the bleeding process.

Truck was down for a week. Started having withdrawal pains from having to drive the minivan with an auto trans :puke: Feeling better with my stick back!!!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Congrats, Alan! Both that you're back under the hood, and that the lifter fix went well.

Mine misses and chuffs, so I still need to do a compression test to locate the bad cylinder, and then out comes the engine to do lifters, and pushrods (as long as I have them out anyway), and then take the offending head back to the head shop. Of course, the 6 month warranty has passed. :frustrate

All fairly doable on an F truck, not so with my E. IDIDieselJohn and others have done it all in-frame. I'm not in their league! Have been reviving the "Chuff" thread, which I saw by accident, and got me to take this seriously.

I'd still like to head south to ya, meet ya, and take a peek at my timing some day. Assuming all goes well on this latest chapter. Stay tuned!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats, Alan! Both that you're back under the hood, and that the lifter fix went well.

Mine misses and chuffs, so I still need to do a compression test to locate the bad cylinder, and then out comes the engine to do lifters, and pushrods (as long as I have them out anyway), and then take the offending head back to the head shop. Of course, the 6 month warranty has passed. :frustrate

All fairly doable on an F truck, not so with my E. IDIDieselJohn and others have done it all in-frame. I'm not in their league! Have been reviving the "Chuff" thread, which I saw by accident, and got me to take this seriously.

I'd still like to head south to ya, meet ya, and take a peek at my timing some day. Assuming all goes well on this latest chapter. Stay tuned!

I would still like to get together. I ended up doing lifters and pushrods. Thought for sure I would have at least a few bent, so get the parts and change them while it is easy.

Let me know when it will work out. If you need it timed, I might be able to work out coming your way.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, after all is said and done, the "miss" sound seems to be primarily a vacuum situation in my fuel tanks. Did the lifters, etc, helped some. Had a inline fuel filter that was there after some fuel tank work (3 yrs?), removed that. A few other things that I can't seem to remember (before and after the surgery in the middle of all this). Ended up putting a better vent setup in (fuel hose patched into the tank mod, then a fuel filter on the end venting to the outside to keep crud out). Ran it last night to work and back and it seems to be a lot better. All the work that was done was needed, so no wasted time. Just wished I could have figured this out sooner as the vacuum caused the lift pump to work harder and the new baby moose to have a little starvation issue.

Should be good to go now. I just wanted the info out there for others to know if they have similar issues. I will let you know if it doesn't resolve it completely. I am going to run some ATF thru the filter to better lube the IP and give it a good lube even though it seems to be the best it's been since I installed it.