Engine running very rough, not a bad cam position sensor

jdb

Reaction score
94.5 Powerstroke, manual transmission, extended cab, 2wd.

Engine started running very rough - so rough that it was undrivable - but intermittent. Engine check light would come on when running rough. Ended up towing it home.

EEC(?) codes that I read from counting the flashes in the KOEO check were not listed :(

Replaced the cam position sensor. Seemed to fix the problem, but it quickly reappeared. Bad pigtail? Replaced that too, still not fixed.

Pulled the valve covers and this is what I found on the passenger side (drivers side ok)
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not a trained mechanic, so it took me 8 hours to pull the covers, replace the bad parts, change out all 8 glow plugs, and reassemble everything. My first attempt at working on this truck (but I've worked on my 6.9 and 7.3 idi before).

By the way, the advice to use a hose to remove the glow plugs after breaking them loose was good. Couldn't find a hose with the right inside diameter, so I used this that I found in the bathroom (it's for cleaning ears)

Runs fine now, although one of the external harness connections needs replacing too. Have to order that part and put it in next weekend.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you use a 13mm swivel socket? make pulling the covers a lot easier.

jdb

Reaction score
did you use a 13mm swivel socket? make pulling the covers a lot easier.

No, I had my swivel sockets ready, but I was able to get everything with a standard socket plus extension bars as necessary. Only the studs are 13 mm, the bolts are 10 mm. Hardest part was breaking them loose. Have bruises on my hands to show for that :(

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
No, I had my swivel sockets ready, but I was able to get everything with a standard socket plus extension bars as necessary. Only the studs are 13 mm, the bolts are 10 mm. Hardest part was breaking them loose. Have bruises on my hands to show for that :(

Not tryin to hijack but I noticed that on my 94.5 that the bolts were 10's as on my 96 there 13's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk