Engine Ruined...

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. Hard work pays off! I'm 16 and worked 50+ hours all summer and saved every dime to do my truck! Wish I wasn't so far away to help out man. Keep us updated!

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
I hear ya. Hard work pays off! I'm 16 and worked 50+ hours all summer and saved every dime to do my truck! Wish I wasn't so far away to help out man. Keep us updated!
Will do. Keep on workin' hard.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Quick update. I'll have a new (used) engine dropped in there in about 3 weeks.

I'll post pics

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually from a salvage yard you get 30 days warranty, some are more generous at 3 months but you also pay accordingly. I think 1k for a known good diesel engine and half a year warranty is pretty decent. As long as you can swing it of course, which it sounds like you can. Good luck!

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad I didn't see this before, I am a bit of a drive though but I have a running idi in my truck now I would have sold you for $500with the C6 transmission, it is a non turbo idi though. All that I would ask is to help me pull it out plus the $500.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Update 1:

Update 1:

Okay, so today we finally got into tearing the truck apart.

I figured out the definitive cause of the engine failure...

A while back water had gotten past the hood and into the intake leaving the truck hydrolocked. I pulled all GP's out and cranked 'til the water was gone. Well, the damage had already been done, but I didn't know that. After getting the water out, the truck ran fine for the next ~150 miles until the big blowout mentioned at the start of this thread.

Fast forward, the truck is sitting in the lot at the shop when I try to start it to move it. Low and behold, *clunk* *clunk*. ****'s hydrolocked again. Then it clicked in my head. The hydrolock damaged the engine! Well, what a dumb way for the engine to get ruined. After I had the truck in the garage, we realised a small dent on the hood had been letting large amounts of water into the bay. That will definitely be fixed...

Anyway, here's a few pictures...

You must be registered for see images attach

Truck up on the lift.

A TON of water from the oil pan. *Note: Water is NOT green, just the flash*.

Transmission pulled (Don't mind the baby bouncer thing LOL)

Engine after trans removed and some stuff taken out

BONUS:

Here's the engine that will be going into it. Junkyard engine. Little rough but should work after I swap parts out.

Anyway, more updates as I work on this.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, i would be ripping the oil cooler, waterpump, and valve covers off and resealing them while its out.
the oil cooler especially nothing like getting it done and find out that its a leaker.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, i would be ripping the oil cooler, waterpump, and valve covers off and resealing them while its out.
the oil cooler especially nothing like getting it done and find out that its a leaker.

Add to that an inspection of drain hole on valley pan...cdr grommet...and F n R main seals....suck put it in find its a leaker...all for sake of few bucks n bit time....

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Well, final update everyone.

We finally found the time to complete the project.

Engine is in the truck and for the most part, it runs pretty well.

There's a leaky injector that causes a hard start, but I will be swapping it here soon.

Other than that, I'd say so far so good.

Thanks for the help everyone!

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Does it run rough and smoke white like it's missing on one when it starts? If so, may just be a glow plug or the connection. I've got that right now. She hammers and stammers on 7 cylinders for 5-15 seconds on a cold morning until that cylinder get some heat to it. My injectors are nearly new. No smoke and smooth as can be once all 8 hit

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Get that injector replaced soon. I let mine go hoping it would hold out and it blew part of a return cap out when the injector finally stuck open.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Get that injector replaced soon. I let mine go hoping it would hold out and it blew part of a return cap out when the injector finally stuck open.

Gonna do it tomorrow. Have some injectors laying around ill put in there. not too worried about it. just glad she runs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online