Does anyone make IDI crate engines?

Black dawg

Reaction score
I purchased a "turn key" 7.3 IDI from one of the big name remanufactures mentioned in this thread. I have put 14,000 on that engine since installment. A few issues that have occured...the thermostat stuck closed at approximately 7,000 miles...idler pulley bearing went out around 10,000 miles, and most recently the lift pump went out...around 13,500 miles. While all have been minor issues, and inconveniences, I would not expect parts to wear out that quick on a supposed remanufactured engine. I do hope that the service life of these parts is not indicutive of the overall engine build quality. That having been said, this is my first diesel, and I am not aware of what the expected service life of said parts was even on the original engine...
Where were you able to purchase a reman engine that had those components on it?

It has been many years since I have seen a complete drop in available for a 7.3 IDI.

Black dawg

Reaction score
S and J engines in spokane offers a long block. I have never used a 6.9 7.3 from them, but many other engines, and any minor issues were handled promptly.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin at r&d sells them as well. Last I recall he sold them for around $6500
I would go with Justin before buying a ready made from some production shop. Justin is a pro when it comes to these engines.
Base price $6500, that`s w/o IP & injectors, add those, performance cam, Turbo, etc..... can easily walk out with a $10K engine. All depends on what you want.

I have a 7.3 I would like to haul up to him, I need a good road trip.

Goat

Black dawg

Reaction score
I would go with Justin before buying a ready made from some production shop. Justin is a pro when it comes to these engines.
Base price $6500, that`s w/o IP & injectors, add those, performance cam, Turbo, etc..... can easily walk out with a $10K engine. All depends on what you want.

I have a 7.3 I would like to haul up to him, I need a good road trip.

Goat
Last time I looked, long blocks were in the 4-4500 range from a few rebuilders, what does he offer that warrants the extra 2k ish? Honestly wondering as I may be in the market for one for myself.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think any of the big names(jasper, atk, tristar, etc.) actually have one ready to go. Therefore they'll simply be offering a rebuild process same as most engine shops. Call them all yourself, but I'd be surprised if any do. Promar might be the odd one out and actually have one on the shelf, but we don't have an account with them.

When I checked this summer, atk had a 2 month + lead time on engine rebuilding.

A lot of those guys drastically reduced warehouse stock during covid, and IDK if it's in the plans to ever rebuild it back up.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I looked, long blocks were in the 4-4500 range from a few rebuilders, what does he offer that warrants the extra 2k ish? Honestly wondering as I may be in the market for one for myself.
You would have to talk to him on the phone, all he does is IDI`s and that is his passion.

Goat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online